Rachael Palmer: Slam Poetry Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Rachel Palmer stole the show at the University of Utah’s Greek Week talent show, winning most unique talent. You may have seen her at Greek events, career services office, or in the engineering building. This girl does it all!

Check out her amazing slam poetry debut below, she is truly an inspiration and we can’t wait to introduce you!

Name: Rachael Palmer

Graduation Date: May 2018

Major: Biomedical Engineering

Hometown: Longmont, Colorado 

Describe yourself in three words: Optimistic, insightful, and enthusiastic

What is your favorite food? French Toast

Favorite color? Blue! Anything from light to dark or even a teal.

Three things you can’t live without? My Cross Tech 3 pen/pencil (I’m a nerd), good books to read,  and ice cream. 

What is your guilty pleasure TV show? I hardly watch TV anymore, but I used to watch Say Yes to the Dress. I couldn’t believe how much money people would spend on a wedding dress.

Celebrity crush? Honestly, I just want to be Emma Watson. Does that count?

What is your dream job? My dream job is anything that lets me solve big problems and make a difference.

Pet Peeves: The small sizes/non-existence of pockets in feminine clothing! And when people at poetry slams don’t take me seriously because I’m an engineer.

Fun fact about you: I’m a triplet with my two brothers, and we are at three different colleges right now, (but mine’s the best). 

What is your favorite thing about the U? The U is enough like Colorado that I feel at home (mountains are the best), and yet different enough that I feel like I can branch out and do new things.

Best U of U memory? My freshman year I won Best Humorous Speech in “HIP Talks” which is a public speaking competition hosted by the Hinckley Institute of Politics. My two minute speech was about why feminine clothing needs better/real pockets. I may have won best in humor, but I’m serious about this.

What has been your favorite class taken at the U? I really enjoyed Digital Photography. It taught me how to use my digital camera better and how to use Photoshop, which was pretty fun.

The worst class you have taken? In the very end, I really enjoyed Organic Chemistry and did really well in it. But I seriously struggled and it felt like I couldn’t improve all semester long. I have never felt so helpless in a class before. I had an epiphany at the very end of the semester and rocked the final.

Best study spot? I love to get coffee at Two Creek Coffee House in the Sutton Building and study there. 

Favorite place to eat in SLC? I love Cafe Zupas. I wish they had them in Colorado.

Advice for people about to enter college? Ask questions and advocate for yourself. Ask questions about resources and opportunities on campus, in class, or anything else you don’t know about. The better questions you ask, the more informed you become and can advocate for yourself better. And if you can advocate for yourself, you’ll have a great time in college because you can pursue so many opportunities and have fun.

Congrats on the win, Rachael! 

I am a current journalism student at the University of Utah. I have spent my years in college studying, traveling, and writing. I am a campus writer for the University of Utah and have my own blog Beautiful Detour. If I am not on campus I am hopefully off in another country meeting new people...or lying in my bed under a million blankets watching that day's netflix binge.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor