Quick and Healthy Food Options on and Near Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As a student, it is quite hard to balance everything going on in our lives and keep up with such a busy schedule. Balancing homework, work, extracurricular activities, financial obligations, social life, family life and simply keeping sane can be a struggle. For me, physical activity and nutrition is a major priority and another addition to the big list we have to balance. Exercise and physical activity are very important, but nutrition is vital and commonly overlooked. It can be heard to maintain a nutritious diet while on a college budget, having little time to prepare/pack, and are always on the go. I try and pack a lunch and snacks for the day, but we all have those days where we just can’t get to it yet still want to maintain our healthy nutrition habits. Luckily there are options close to campus and even on campus for us to choose from. Here are some tips and recommendations to help us maintain a healthy balanced diet!

On Campus:

Library

On the bottom floor of the Marriott Library is Mom’s Cafe as well as a quick snack stop right across from the café called Mom’s Pantry. There aren’t a ton of fresh healthy options, but on the way to class or during a study break there are a few good ones. At the café, there is a veggie and hummus platter which is a nutritious snack full of vitamins and nutrients that will help keep our brain and body running. At both the café and snack stop there are always fruit options, typically apples, oranges or bananas as well as nuts or trail mix. There are also protein and energy bar options—I recommend Quest Bars, Think Thin bars, Luna Bars, Kind Bars for some carbohydrate energy and protein or Clif bars if you are in need of a meal replacement.  

Bookstore

At the bookstore they also have a little snack section where there are nut and trail mix options as well as similar protein bar options. Try and stay away from grabbing chips or cookies and grab a bar instead!

Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building Tony Caputos 215 S. Central Campus Drive

Tony Caputos is great because it is fresh. They do have sandwiches, but I highly recommend their salads for a healthier option. Delicious!

Off Campus:

7-11 209 South 1300 East

If you are in a big hurry, the 7-11 right below Presidents Circle is a great option for a protein bar, an apple or banana, trail mix or nuts, and turkey jerky.

Whole Foods Trolley Square 544 South 700 East

I absolutely LOVE Whole Foods. They have a ton of healthy snack options, but I love going to their food bar for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The price for the food bar is by weight, so if it’s not too heavy, the price isn’t too bad. I also highly recommend their Asian stir fry bowls next to the food bar. You make your own and can load it with veggies and your choice of sauce and protein.

Zao 639 East 400 South

Zao is close to the U and a great healthy option. I recommend ordering the salad or brown rice bowl with protein, veggies and dressing on the side.  

Natural Grocers 645 East 400 South

Natural Grocers is similar to Whole Foods, but a bit smaller. It’s good for healthy and fresh snack options.

B+D Burger 222 South 1300 East

This is right below Presidents Circle and a hot spot for U students. If you are there for a social event or simply are craving a burger, order a burger with a lettuce wrap and no cheese. It will save some extra calories, fat and carbs that we may not need.

Trader Joes 634 East 400 South

Trader Joes is a fabulous option for a quick snack or pre-made meal. They offer salad, sandwich, wrap and sushi options for on the go and are quite good.

Even when we are off campus and not worried about time, it is nice to have a healthy option when eating out. Here are some of my favorites and healthy recommendations in SLC. All of them offer gluten free items as well.

Healthy Options in Salt Lake City

1. Aubergine: 2122 Highland Drive
  2. Cubby’s: 2130 Highland Drive
  3. Public: 931 East 900 South
  4. Red Butte Café: 1414 Foothill Drive
  5. Whole Foods: Trolley Square 544 South 700 East
  6. Zest: 275 South 200 West
  7. Blue Lemon: City Creek 55 South West Temple
  8. Oasis: 151 South 500 East
  9. Pulp: 49 Gallivan Ave
  10. Rye: 239 South 500 East
  11. Mollie and Ollie: 159 Main Street
  12. Protein Foundry: 6909 South 1300 East
  13. Padelli’s: 30 Broadway
  14. Even Stevens: 414 East 200 South or 2030 South 900 East
  15. Chipotle: 1011 East 2100 South
Logan is currently a senior at the University of Utah studying Strategic Communication with a minor in Health and Music. She has a strong passion for health and fitness, traveling, fashion, Dachshaunds and anything chocolate. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor