Posh Plastics: Plastic Surgery Facts Before You Go Under the Knife

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We all have things we don’t like about ourselves. Like that odd resemblance our noses have with the nose of Bill Cosby’s or how uneven our boobs look despite wearing new saucy lingerie. (Like come on, you’d think, that when you drop $70 on a spicy bra, your boobs would look somewhat attractive, right?) And even though, we notice some of our flaws, we don’t really do much about it, right? We usually just cope with our insecurities and get on with our life and buy makeup and clothes to fill the void. But guess what? Not everyone has the same mindset, some people actually consider going under the knife to perfect their bodies.

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) the growth in cosmetic procedures over the last year has increased greatly. There were 15.9 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed in the United States in 2015. Which then leads us into which surgeries have been the most common of the 15.9 million. 

The most popular cosmetic surgical procedures in the U.S (2015):

1. Breast augmentation – (279,143 procedures, down 2% from 2014, up 31% from 2000)
  2. Liposuction – (222,051 procedures, up 5% from 2014)
  3. Nose reshaping – (217,979 procedures)
  4. Eyelid surgery – (203,934 procedures)
  5. Tummy tuck – (127,967 procedures, up 9% from 2014, and 104% since 2000)

The thrill for plastic surgery has certainly gone way up, and it also seems pretty tempting (Who wouldn’t want to have Kate Upton’s boobs and Khloe Kardashian’s fine assets?) But again, going through a cosmetic procedure, sounds way scary. If you ever are in the position to get some work done, we highly recommend to do some research! Here are some crazy facts about plastic surgery in general.

Insane Facts about Plastic Surgery:

• The first plastic surgery on the nose was performed in ancient India in 600 B.C. Skin from other parts of the body, mainly the cheek or forehead, was removed and used for reshaping of the nose. Wooden tubes were inserted in the nostrils for air passage during the healing process.
  • Plastic surgeries were first done on dead people. The Egyptians used to perform surgical alterations on their dead bodies and not on the living ones. They used to insert small bones and a handful of seeds into the nose of the dead with a view of recognizing them in their afterlife. The Mummies used to be stuffed with bandages in a similar manner as the modern day practices.
  • Plastic surgeries used to be performed in barbershops. Plastic surgery wasn’t always performed in a sterile environment with a low risk of getting hurt. Around the 16thth century, cosmetic procedures were actually performed in barbershops by regular barbers. In fact, the men who worked in the shop were also expected to know how to amputate limbs and pull teeth in addition to knowing how to cut hair. These workers were aptly named “barber surgeons.” They had a wide skill set, which meant they also knew how to perform procedures such as bloodletting and supping therapy, and could also bathe their customers and give enemas.
  • There are plastic surgery Fashion shows. A plastic surgeon, named Ramtin Kassir, made headlines when he created a fashion show to show off his handiwork. Men and women, who were all former patients of his, walked down the runway while the “before” and “after” pictures appeared on screens behind them. The screen also contained a list of all of the procedures that the models had done, so that the audience members could judge their appearances and decide if they wanted the same procedures done on themselves. 

Those are some insane facts, right? Well now you have some insight, have you ever thought about what goes down behind the scenes? Well you definitely should. Especially, if you ever plan on going through a major transformation! The funny thing about cosmetic surgical procedures is that even though they are surgeries to make you essentially more attractive, the procedure itself is not a sight for sore eyes. It’s actually really messy!  And if you’re tired of watching reruns of Nip/Tuck and Botched, and are wanting to get more of an insider’s look of what actually happens during a cosmetic procedure, follow @therealdrmiami on Snapchat. This guy, is crazy amazing. His name is Dr. Micheal Salzhauer, and he is a real, board-certified plastic surgeon. He slices and tucks everything from bellies to booties to love handles!  He’s truly a talented human, and he’s also super funny! So give him a follow and you’ll experience a rollercoaster of emotions concerning plastic surgery. (DISCLAIMER – His snaps are usually pretty gory and way intense!)  

Overall, the idea of getting “work done” is honestly really crazy, but if you ever have enough money and are willing to go through it, amen to you!  But if cosmetic surgery is not for you, no worries! There are other alternatives, if you ever needed it!

Alternatives to Cosmetic surgical procedures:

• Makeup as a BFF

Teach yourself how to contour! Learning how your face is structured and being able to use bronzer and highlight to make yourself look slimmer, is way more cost efficient.

• Permanent Cosmetic tattoos

If makeup isn’t your thing, maybe getting cosmetic tattoos are! They are cheaper than a cosmetic procedure and are very convenient.  Also less painful! 

• Self-love

No one honestly needs to slice up themselves to conform into some sort of beauty ideal. And makeup isn’t even necessary. You’re beautiful just the way you are! Loving yourself is the best way to make amends with your flaws. Your insecurities make you, you. Why change that?

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor