Olympic Tribute to the 2002 games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Unless you live under a rock, everyone in Utah should know it’s the 10th anniversary of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. If you’re like me, born and raised in good ol’ salt Lake, then you probably shared in the enthusiasm ten years ago (although most likely as a kid).

I remember it, the huge screens of skaters and skiers draping the tallest buildings, the glass torch flaming at its location in front of our very own football stadium, the opening ceremonies taking place inside the stadium, the clamor of activities and athletes downtown, and –of course- the actual events.
            This last week the torch was relit briefly for a short commemorative ceremony. Today, the Gateway mall was filled with athletes from the 2002 games, all sorts of interactive sports games, and even a politician from our 2002 winter games sister, Torino, Italy.

If all the celebration has put you back into Olympic fever, the following are some ongoing 2002 Olympic exhibits you can check out! What better time than President’s Day weekend to check them out?

GEORGE ECCLES 2002 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES MUSEUM
Joe Quinney Winter Sport Center, Utah Olympic Park
Daily 10a – 6p
SALT LAKE 2002 VISITORS CENTER
Olympic Cauldron Park, University of Utah
Monday-Friday 10a – 6p
OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE EXHIBITION
J. Willard Marriott Library, Special Collections Reading Room, Level 4, University of Utah
February 1 – 29
Monday-Friday 8a – 6p, Saturday 9:15a – 6p
KIMBALL ART CENTER OLYMPIC EXHIBIT
Park Avenue, Park City
February 1 – April 7
Monday-Thursday 10a – 5p, Friday 10a – 7p, Saturday 12 – 7p, Sunday 12 – 5p
Enjoy your celebrations!

Lexi Jones is a senior with a double major in journalism and anthropology at the University of Utah. Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she loves exploring the outdoors, rock climbing, music, and writing. She is currently a museum aid for the Bureau of Land Management. She has interned with LDS Living magazine as a writer, the Utah Museum of Natural History in the anthropology lab, and the National Society of Leadership and Success as a founding chapter president. Her inspirations are Mark Twain and Paulo Coelho. Lexi aspires to be a freelancer for National Geographic. Always pursuing multiple passions, she is currently applying to graduate school for a Masters in archaeology and a Juris doctorate, and yes, she does plan to enroll in both at the same time.