Nama- Stop: Why Every Personality Type Should Try Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Yoga is a great form of exercise, peace of mind and relaxation. However, it might be something you feel as if you don’t belong to if you don’t have dreds or nature tattoos. I have discovered that yoga has so many benefits physically and mentally. Your mat is a place that you can find clarity, peace and burn a great amount of calories. I personally practice at Corepower where I have seen almost every personality type. Some are the kind of people you would expect to see at a yoga studio and others are people who are there are the DL. The best part about yoga is that everyone is own their own path. There is no right or wrong yogi and you can be in the studio for whatever reasons you wanted to be there for.

Do you still have doubt? I interviewed 5 different friends of mine that have five different personality types and each of their responses is very interesting.

Issa: Kick Back Chick 

“I don’t really stress about everything and I love to make people feel better. I like yoga because it puts things into perspective to me and relieves me of the unimportant things in my life that bring me down”

Jasmine: The Shy Observer

“I don’t like drama or conflict in any way. I’m more of an observer than anything I think. Uhmmm I’m very quiet until I feel completely comfortable. I think yoga is great for the spirit and the soul. It makes me feel free from form and free of my mind and judgment from myself. I like the level of skill that’s possible in yoga and how much yoga brings focus from within.”

Mietra: The Shabby Chic 

“Even though I’m a “not-sporty” type I like yoga because it’s always different and there’s no competition, you’re not even competing against yourself. It’s just about where you feel good taking it for that day. It’s a personal practice.”

Sierra: The Perfectionist 

I’m really hard on myself, which is part of the reason I love yoga. Yoga is an hour of my day that I don’t have to criticize myself and make sure I’m doing everything just right. I can just relax into a pose. I can choose to challenge myself or I can choose to be patient with myself… And either is okay!

Jayden: The Diva 

Going to hot yoga for a month helped me reach my fitness goals before I went to Mexico with my boyfriend. I am not really into the religious part of yoga, but I think it is a great work out. I love the poses happy baby and warrior two. I also really love the lemon- lavender chilled towel at the end of every class at Corepower. Yoga isn’t something people expect I would do, but I feel completely comfortable being in a yogi environment. Plus I wear yoga pants and sports bras ere’day anyways so might as well have the right to.”

Here is a quote that is displayed at my local yoga studio:

“Yoga is not about being bendy…It’s about believing you can do anything even it it’s the most scariest impossible thing you could ever dream of. It’s about being kind to yourself so you can then be kind to others. Yoga is about discovering that most of the crazy thoughts in your head are not true. It’s about slowing down to get strong. It’s about breathing, moving and smiling on the inside. It’s the hardest thing I have ever done. But also, the best.”

Most yoga places offer a free class or even a free week. I strongly feel that everyone should give it a try no matter what your personality type is. Whether yoga is in our comfort zone or out of it, you may find an experience you didn’t expect.

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor