This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Welcome back to the chronology of my roommate miseries. I hope you enjoyed reading last week about my naïve decision to live with my mom for freshman year. Quick recap: just don’t. Got it? I sure hope so. I learned this a little too late, but your mom will still feed you if you move out! Anyway, let’s move on. Next up on my tragic narrative – University of Utah dorms.

My dreams were finally coming true. I was moving out of my dad’s house, and this time I was moving toward real independence! I added an extra forty minutes between my parents and me; moving to the shining lights of Salt Lake City! The city that never…stays open on Sundays, ha! I was humbly reminded that I still lived in Utah, but that didn’t even matter. You know why? Because Salt Lake City is home to The U of U – and I absolutely love this university! With the help of some friends, I stuffed all of my “essentials” into three cars and headed south.

Alright, I have a question for collegiettes™! What’s more lame than living with your mom? You got it, living with freshmen (and yes, that’s only because I wasn’t one anymore)! To all the first years out there – I really do adore you, but I don’t want to live with you while you “adjust” to college life (i.e. I don’t want to be your new mom or maid). I don’t want to talk about how hard your 1000 level classes are. And I really don’t want to hear about your first frat party.  Pause. You know what – I actually do! The real issue I had with freshmen at this time in my life is that they are required to share bedrooms.

Being the new me, adult and independent, the last thing I wanted to do on my U adventure was share a tiny bedroom with a complete stranger. She could be messy or have a super annoying boyfriend. Even worse, she could be psycho levl Leighton Meester (from the movie: The Roommate)!

These were things my focused (only slightly selfish) sophomore self didn’t want to deal with. I was so happy knowing that I wouldn’t be put in freshman movie stereotype dorm! So, you can imagine my dismay when I was told I was going to be housed in Sage Point.

There is a long application process for living on campus. I won’t lie, I was more confused than a chameleon in a bag of skittles! I’m not sure when or how this happened, but somehow RHA categorized me as a freshmen. No! I was absolutely adamant about being moved into upper classmen housing. If I can offer some advice to those of you planning on moving into University housing, don’t handle issues over the phone – you will be put on hold indefinitely. My many phone calls went unanswered and my issue unsolved for days. I had no choice, but to go down to the University.

After about an hour of proving my class level, I was given a room in Bench Mark.

It was a fabulous, four bedroom, and two bathroom apartment. I was beyond excited! My three new roommates consisted of one insanely smart girl, who juiced almost everything she ate, and had her boyfriend practically living in her room. They were an adorable couple though, so I guess that was cool. There was one blue eyed blondie, who had the biggest personality and did amazing work in improv. Thankfully, she was an English major and she proof read all my papers! My third roomate was my twin to be! Literally – same height, same weight, same hair (The Roommate again playing in the back of my mind). Thankfully, she was only as crazy as I was. In the way that she too enjoyed singing randomly, avoiding homework to binge watch Gossip Girl and was totally down to practice twerking with me. Everything sounds perfect huh?

Well, psych! There’s always a wake-up call. I quickly realized the actual apartment was not that great.

Aesthetically, the room was on point. We did everything we could to improve it. This mainly included retrieving posters from all around campus to decorate the living room. We didn’t view it as a crime – more school spirit oriented. And we went all out, with a full size tree for Christmas!

But there were three downfalls we just couldn’t avoid.

1.  Ants.  Yes – like, swarming, disgusting, relentless, six-legged, creepy, insects! No matter what we did to get rid of them (so much ant killer, bet you never knew there are at least four different ways to poison ants. Please don’t call PETA.) – those d*mn intruders always surprised us with their malicious presence. First floor problems – bugs. If you have this same issue, call your dad. Your RA will be just as grossed out as you and thus super unhelpful!

2.  Neighbors.  Of the upstairs category. I’m convinced the basketball team lived above us. It sounded like they had full on tournaments in their bedrooms. Of course, it was only between the hours of 11pm and 4am. Sound sleeping is a difficult thing to do in campus housing. Quiet hours anyone?

3.  Faucets from hell. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO GET. There is no middle ground in dorm plumbing. What’s “warm”? I grew way too accustomed to ice cold and scalding hot. Plus, it wasn’t until literally the end of the year before I knew, without a doubt, how to turn the sink water on and off. Water faucet temperature and force are two things I will never take for granted again.

So there you have it, the highlight reel of my time in Bench Mark Plaza. One of the most fun, and simultaneously annoying places I’ve ever lived. When summer rolls around, not many students stay in the dorms. I wasn’t taking summer classes, so I saw no reason to stay. I restored my bedroom to move in conditions and said, “Adios!” My twin and I found a beautiful house on University Street! I was excited all over again! And as you probably guessed, sourly disappointed soon after moving in…

English major. Avid Political Intern. Olivia Pope enthusiast. Designated "Mom" of the group. Wannabe yogi. Wine drinker.Living in and thoroughly enjoying Salt Lake City. Writing amusing and sarcastic material for the beautiful undergrads of THE U. (The original one here in Utah. Sorry not Sorry Miami.)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor