My Bone Marrow Donation Experience: Part Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Five months ago, I wrote a piece about preparing for one of the most important things that I have ever done. Today, I get to finish the story.

For those who do not know, I was extremely lucky to be identified as a potential bone marrow match for a cancer patient. I ended up not being able to donate actual bone marrow, but donated stem cells instead. To do this, I received injections of a medicine typically given to cancer patients that promotes the growth of stem cells. I got an injection per day for the four days leading up to the donation, and the day of, I spent a few hours having my blood processed to remove and collect the stem cells.

During the actual collection of my stem cells, so many people told me how brave I was. To be honest, I felt like a fake. I was sitting there in near perfect health while nurses and doctors took so much time out of their days to help me. I felt like I didn’t deserve it. The fact that this donation is an option to so many people, that the process to get on the registry is so simple, that there are so many people on the registry waiting to help someone while others do nothing, makes my mind spin. While I completely understand the gravity of my donation, I can’t help but feel that I was simply doing what everyone should, if given the chance.

Overall, my donation experience was unlike anything else I have ever done. A couple things did not go as planned, yet, if given the opportunity, I would do it all again in a heartbeat. The care I received from my incredible doctors, nurses, plus the representatives from the hospital and Be The Match, was so kind and attentive. The outpouring of love and support from family and friends constantly reminded me that my decision to follow through with the donation was the right one.

I wrote my recipient a letter, telling her all I could about myself without giving too much away. Some days, it seems like a good thing that I do not know her. My donation seemed so uncomplicated, without too much emotional stress. Yet hearing myself think that, I realize how selfish that is. My part is done, and she continues to fight. I wish that I knew her and that I could be there every day to support her. I wish that I could tell her that she is not alone in this fight. But, all I can do is continue to keep her in my thoughts each day, and hope that she is doing okay.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor