Mike Bird – Engage. Enhance. Ensure.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Her Campus Utah is proud to introduce this weeks Campus Celebrity, Mike Bird.  He is currently a senior here at the U and majoring in Business Administration and a Masters of Finance Candidate for fall 2014.  Mike is a well known guy here on campus by being involved in many activites like, being the former Government Relations Director for ASUU, and being a Presidential Ambassador for President Pershing’s Office.  Mike is in the running for the Associated Students of the University of Utah (ASUU) President with Team Unite in the general elections on campus this week, Mar. 3 – Mar. 6.  Last week, Mike took the time to catch up with HC Utah and fill us in on his life and all things Team Unite! Meet Mike Bird:

Her Campus (HC): Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to chat with Her Campus Utah!  So first question, what made you come to the University of Utah?

Mike Bird (MB): Before coming to The University of Utah I was studying business at Salt Lake Community College (SLCC).  I was involved in SLCC’s Student Government and served as the Student Body President there. During my time I worked closely with the University of Utah and felt that this was the right school for me.  My decision to come to the University of Utah was supported by my family, especially since my dad graduated from the U.  It also helped that we all grew up Ute fans!

HC: What is your favorite thing about the U?

MB: It’s hard to pick one thing that is my favorite, considering I love everything from the academics, social events, and athletic events, to the leadership trainings. All have had an influential factor of my love for the University of Utah.

HC: What is your plan after graduating?

MB: Where to start…well my wife and I are expecting our first child in July so, I would have to say my plans after graduating, with my undergrad, would be learning how to change diapers. This is no easy task considering none of my business classes gave me the proper training.  I am also very excited to peruse Healthcare Administration as a career, where I would like to one day manage a hospital here in Utah.

HC: Congratulations to you and your wife, that is so exciting! What motivated you to run for ASUU President?

MB: I have always had a passion to serve wherever needed.  My motivation to run for ASUU President came from my amazing experiences working with the students and administration here on campus.  I wanted to continue to surround myself with students who truly want to make a difference.  I couldn’t be more excited to work with the candidates on Team Unite and know that they have what it takes to help not only me grow as an individual but help the University as a whole.

HC: Tell us about Team Unite.

MB: If you have seen our signs or handouts on campus you will notice that Team Unite believes in its platform of Engage, Enhance, and Ensure.  We have made it our goal for the future to immediately implement a Textbook Reform which would lower student’s prices on textbooks and also Increase Clubs Funding.  These are measurable goals that we feel confident can be accomplished in the year we are in office.  We have an amazing team and are the only Team in the elections to have every elected position filled.  This is important because it gives all schools the opportunity to be represented.

HC: How does Team Unite differentiate from the Vision Party?

MB: Well one thing that we have worked hard on to differentiate ourselves from the Vision Party is not associating ourselves as a party but rather a team.  Every year it seems like elections are based off of a two party system, the Greek Party and the Non Greek Party.  Before deciding to run I felt it very important to not associate ourselves as one or the other.  Instead we wanted to Unite the two competing parties and include all students regardless of which organizations they are involved with.  This is essentially where we got our name “Team Unite”.  Our Team comprises roughly 50/50 of Greek community members and Non Greek community members. We feel that this is a better representative of what the students want.  With that in mind I feel that Team Unite is different on many levels than that of the Vision Party on not only our platform and goals but who we represent as well.

HC: What is one thing you want to say to the students attending the U?

MB: Keep up the good work!  The University is the States flagship Institution because of all the contributions made by its students.

HC: Thanks so much Mike and good luck to you and your team in the upcoming election!

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!