Margarita Ruiz ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Margarita Ruiz is a West Valley native and a junior here at the University of Utah majoring in Health Promotion and Education with an emphasis in Teaching. If that isn’t enough she is also minoring in Spanish, so Her Campus was ecstatic when she took some time out of her hectic schedule to talk about a day she’s looking very forward to, Valentine’s Day.

HC: So Ms. Margarita, let’s talk Valentine’s Day. Thoughts?

Margarita: Actually I’m gonna be spending the day with my boyfriend Roger Quinonez (a junior also attending the University of Utah). We’ve been together for three years now!

HC: Wow, three years? How great! Then how does Valentine’s Day typically go for both of you?

Margarita: Yes, he’s fantastic! Every year we do something sentimental and don’t focus on material things. Like in years past we have made dinner together, spent the whole day together, and oh! One year he wrote me a journal: his thoughts of us, our love, our journey together, and just putting our love into a story… it was really romantic.

HC: Sounds like a really deep connection that the two of you have built, what do you recommend to others that want a similar relationship?

Margarita: Well, sometimes guys and even girls don’t know what to get the other person… I think there’s nothing wrong with telling them what you would like to do. It’s good to make suggestions as long as you make sure you don’t pressure them to make it extravagant or a huge deal. If you love each other that should be enough. Again, it’s not about the material aspect. Be reasonable.

HC: Great insight Margarita! What suggestions did you make to your bf for V-Day?

Margarita: It may sound weird but I told Roger to get me a bible (pauses) since being together we have talked about a lot of spiritual and religious things and I would love to learn more on religion’s take on love and relationships. I want to spend the day together while highlighting and reading love verses and how it relates to us and our journey….I want to keep that memory forever.

HC: That’s a really unique idea, Margarita.  Thanks again for sitting down with Her Campus and giving us a look into your Valentine’s Day, any last thoughts?

Margarita: Make memories with your loved ones and make every day full of love not just on Valentine’s Day. Even if you’re single, there’s nothing wrong with that! Feel good about yourself and be kind and show love to those around you. Spend time with your family, friends, or someone who seems like they aren’t having the best day. Valentine’s Day is simply a day that acts s a reminder to love yourself and love your life. Embrace it!