This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The Allied Students for Contraception began in an honors class here at the U. Throughout the class, they realized how important it is to be knowledgeable about contraception, regardless of politics or religion. They are working to empower the U of U community to take control of their sexual health, as well as make contraceptives more available to the students on campus. Here are some of the best tips and tricks for taking control of your sexual health from their April 4th panel.

1. Research!

The only way to know which options will work best for you is to research all of the options. Drop into a Planned Parenthood to talk to one of their providers, make a doctor’s appointment with an OB/GYN, talk to your parents if you feel comfortable doing that. Just be sure to research which option will be best for your personal sexual experiences. The panelists also recommended Bedsider.org for easy tools you can use to compare your top choices in birth control side by side to choice what will be best for your lifestyle.

2. Plan ahead.

The heat of the moment is not the best time to establish a birth control plan with your partner. Talking to your partner about your birth control plan beforehand can seem like a real turn-off, but try to find a fun way to make it sexy. Be straightforward with them, but feel free to make jokes about it! Safe sex conversations can be awkward, but the actual act of safe sex is fun and worry-free.

3. Be prepared to follow some instructions.

Depending on what kind of birth control method you choose, they are the most effective if you use them how they are intended to be used. If you go with pills, you do have to be prepared to take them everyday to prevent pregnancy. If you opt for a shot, you do have to be prepared to go back after the set amount of months for the next shot. If you choose to just use condoms, be prepared to use a condom every time you have sex.

4. Advocate for yourself!

Not all healthcare providers are willing to talk about contraception or other birth control methods. You have to be ready to push the subject or to find a new provider who will focus specifically on you and your health in every aspect, even the uncomfortable ones. Be your own biggest fan, and take control of your own health.

5. Get involved.

If you’re interested in helping Allied Students for Contraception (ASC) work towards free birth control methods on campus, reach out to them on their Facebook page, or reach out to HER Salt Lake, an initiative to make contraceptives more available to the women of Salt Lake City.

Alli Milne is a very loud, very sarcastic and very old soul that was put into the body of a very out-of-shape librarian that looks great in a sweater. Seriously. She never met a sweater she didn't like. She is obsessed with autumn and also books. Oh, she also goes to the University of Utah. It has bad coffee.