This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s about time we talk about birth control. With all the different forms of birth control out there, how are you supposed to know what the best kind is for you? Here are some stories from students attending the University of Utah about their experiences with different methods of birth control. 

The Pill:

The pill is the most common form of birth control. Here is one woman’s reasoning for using the pill:

“I started taking the pill because I have extremely severe periods and needed to manage the symptoms. I chose the pill because it is the least invasive hormonal method. I like the flexibility if I have a bad reaction or want to get pregnant I just stop taking the pill. I can also choose monthly not to have my period by not taking the placebos in each pack. The negatives are that sometimes I forget and that I have to remember to refill my prescription every month. I would recommend this form because it is safe and effective and the potential hazards are less severe than others forms such as the IUD. The pill cannot rip through your body and if you have a bad reaction there is no implant to remove you just stop taking it.”

IUD:

IUDs are another very effective form of birth control, and they are great if you are looking for something long term.

I started using the IUD in August. I took the pill for about four months, but I didn’t like it because I would often forget to take it within the same time frame. My boyfriend went abroad for the summer, so I stopped the pills and just didn’t have sex, because, you know, thousands of miles of distance. I chose the IUD because I wanted something I didn’t really have to worry about and would work long-term. I like that after the initial insertion and cramps, you can’t feel it. I also like not having to worry about pills or patches or changing rings. I can do my thing with the peace of mind that it’ll do it’s thing. Something they don’t tell you is that for a few months after getting an IUD, you have spotting every day. So no cute underwear for a few months, not without a light pad, lol. I would recommend this to a friend 100%.

The Shot:

The shot is easy. This story gives great insight if you are thinking about giving the shot a try.

“I decided to choose to get the Depo Provera shot because I knew I was bad with taking pills everyday already. I hate taking pills and avoid it all the time. With the shot, I go into Planned Parenthood every 3 months and get it done. I have always taken this form of birth control because I love how simple it is so I never want to switch. I like the shot because I get it in the fatty part of my hips. It’s a tiny needle, and you can barely feel it. I also only bleed the last week before I get my shot, which is only considered spotting. I have never had a problem with the shot in the 3 years that I have been using it. I would totally recommend this kind of birth control, especially people who suck at taking a pills everyday.”

Vaginal Ring:

This next girl has tried every kind of birth control under the sun. Let’s see what made her stick with Nuvaring.

“I chose to get the Nuvaring because it seemed like the most convenient option for me. I had a hard time remembering to take my birth control pills, so I got the progesterone shot. I didn’t like the side effects that it gave me, so the Nuvaring seemed like a middle path, I only have to remember to replace it once a month.  I have tried almost every type of birth control at one point or another, LOL. Back in high school my mom got me on a traditional pill to help control my migraine headaches, but they gave me an upset stomach every new pack. So then I switched to progesterone-only (minipill) which worked well, except you have to take it practically at the same time every day, so that was hard for me to remember to do. Then I tried getting the shot, gained like 8 pounds and was like “hell no”. So then I tried getting the vaginal ring, which was like a match made in heaven. The medicine dispenses at a more regular rate than a traditional pill, so I didn’t have the upset stomach, but I had all the benefits of the traditional pill (less acne, bigger boobs, ect.)  I like everything about Nuvaring. I like not getting preggers, and I like how convenient and painless it is. I also like that you still have the reassurance of periods, but you have the option of skipping them if you feel like it.  The only possible negative that doesn’t actually effect me is that you have a random ring in your vagina so it could be awk if you are having sex with some dude for the first time. My boyfriend says he can’t feel it though sooo. It is definitely the best choice for me, but you know everyone is different.”

The Implant:

The implant seems kind of painful… But lets see if that’s all true.

“I’m on Nexplanon, which is a little plastic hormonal rod in my arm that’s about the size of a matchstick. I started this form of birth control because it is pretty foolproof. There’s no guesswork, and once it’s in it lasts for three years. It’s one of the most effective methods, right next to the IUD. I’ve always taken this birth control. It was my first pick, and I got it about a year ago. It might sound scary, but it really isn’t that bad. They give you a numbing shot in your arm and then this little gun inserts the Nexplanon into your inner bicep. It’s sore for like 2 days and there’s some bruising, but it heals over and you can’t even tell it’s there. I don’t even have a scar. When I get it removed, they just give me a numbing shot and make a small cut and remove it. I can get a new one put in right then and there, or I can switch to a new form of birth control. It lasts 3 years, but you can have it removed whenever you want. There are a few negatives. At first, I bled nonstop for about a month and a half. It also made me break out, which is something I’m still trying to get to go away. You never know when or if you’ll have a period, which is good and bad. It’s good because I can go 2-4 months without a period, but it’s bad because then I’ll have a 2 week period, which admittedly is pretty light, but it’s still annoying and inconvenient. I would recommend this birth control to a friend. It’s so effective and convenient, it would be hard to say it’s not worth it.” 

The Patch:

Patches are super hip, right? Let’s see why this girl chose to use the birth control patch.

“I chose this form of birth control because the pill was not practical for me. I could not remember to take it everyday, and as a result, my cycle was very inconsistent. I did not like the idea of the shot or implant, and I needed a type of birth control that would provide the hormone dosage necessary to help with my acne. The IUD would not have done that for me, according to my gynecologist, so the most logical option seemed like the patch. I love how easy the patch is. I change it once a week, and I never forget because I put it where I can see it and be reminded of it. I also love that I don’t have to have a period if I don’t want to; if I choose not to have a period, I just put a new patch on instead of leaving it off for a week. It’s also a very affordable option, at least with my insurance. The one big negative of the patch is that you have to make sure it doesn’t wrinkle or lift up at the corners, because if the entire patch isn’t making contact with your skin then it won’t be as effective. It tends to look like a dirty band-aid, so it’s not the cutest option ever. Removal can be uncomfortable, but if you rip it off quickly it isn’t too bad. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend the patch to a friend! I think it’s one of the lesser known forms of birth control. But due to its ease of use and minimal invasiveness, I think lots of women would be happy with it, especially those who have struggled with the pill.”

The Sponge:

Nobody in my interviews uses the sponge, but there is a lot of helpful information on Planned Parenthood.

Like the IUD or the ring, the sponge is inserted into the vagina. Because it does not contain hormones, there are very few side effect, however, unlike other birth control, the sponge only lasts up to 24 hours after insertion. The sponge can be changed daily, or inserted just before having vaginal sex. Getting the sponge does not require an exam or a perscription; you can order them online or pick them up at your local Planned Parenthood for ~$15 for a pack of three depending on where you purchase them. 

Abstinence

Here is a story from a girl who is choosing to be abstinent, but she has an IUD just in case.

“Even though right now I am choosing not to have sex, I wanted a “security blanket” of sorts so that if I chose to start having sex, I would be prepared. IUD was the right choice for me because I’m not very good at remembering to take daily pills and it was something that I could mostly forget about! I don’t feel my IUD, and I don’t have to remember to take a pill, change a patch or ring, and it made my periods lighter! It was a quick insertion from my doctor and I don’t have to worry about it again for 3 years. I can also have my doctor take it out anytime I want and could be immediately ready to have a baby if I chose. You can still use the same menstrual supplies (tampons etc) with no problems.

The nice thing about abstinence is that you don’t have to worry about Birth Control or anything like that! Abstinence is just a personal decision to me at this time and there are no cons to it! I believe choosing to have sex or not to is a personal decision, but I would definitely recommend the IUD! It’s so easy and mindless and it’s just there and I don’t have to worry about it or remember anything.”

After hearing all of these stories from girls just like you, hopefully you have more insight into what form of birth control will be the best option for you. Whether it be the most popular option, the pill, or the less popular sponge. Talk to your physician to find the method the best suits your lifestyle. Just remember that safe sex is the best sex, and that none of these contraceptives protect from STDs, so still use condoms for extra protection. Sooo, lets make a pact for safe sex? Ready! Set! Goooooo!

Thanks to all of the girls who made this article possible!

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor