This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Snow White, Jasmine, Aurora and the gang all receive flack for one reason or another. Jenna Marbles is convinced that Ariel’s shell-bra is slutty and time and time again these songbirds are criticized for falling in love too fast. I, however, not only love Disney princesses but look up to them too. I have a lot to thank them for when it comes to lessons they have taught me.

Love

It is true that falling in love with a man due to True Love’s Kiss is nutty. Ana received negative attention because people thought she cared too much about falling in love. I, on the other hand, see these princesses as open and as wearing their heart on their sleeve. We live in a world where people are too afraid to get hurt and ultimately don’t fully live and love. Our beloved princesses are not afraid to love and commit.

Dream

Cinderella sang that “a dream is a wish your heart makes,” while Rapunzel sang “I’ve got a dream.” In fact, every single Disney princess sang or spoke about their dreams. We all do that. Well, maybe we don’t enchant birds and trees in high soprano voices. But we dream big. What we can learn from them is that they fiercely followed their dreams. They followed their dreams and regardless of whether everything went according to plan or not, they learned how to make things right and never ceased to chase their happily ever afters.

Strength

Mulan saved China. Cinderella lost both of her parents at a young age and was mentally abused by her step-family. Megara’s heart was broken after she sold her soul to Hates… OUCH. Didn’t Merida fight a bear? Pocahontas and Rapunzel put themselves in danger for the safety and well-being of the ones they loved. They did all of this with unwavering grace.

Brains

Belle is the ultimate example of a beauty queen who proves nothing is sexier than intelligence. Seen reading and pondering on life, it’s no question she is the mostly claimed favorite of the bunch. It isn’t because she’s beautiful; it’s because she is smart.

Kindness

My favorite lesson I learned from Disney princesses comes from one princess in particular. While a fair amount of the princesses taught this one, Giselle from Enchanted illustrated it the best. She taught genuine kindness. Throughout the movie, Giselle sees the good in everybody and compliments people on the good she sees. People could view this as naïve when in all honesty it’s pure compassion.

Thank-you Ariel for teaching me how important it is to be ready to stand. Thank-you Belle for seeing the prince in a beast. And thank-you Snow White for teaching me never to take food from strangers…

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor