danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kristin Fagerback: Empowering Young Worker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet a very empowering young girl, Kristin Fagerback! With her Norwegian descent, she just had to major in International Studies, and let’s not forget that minor in Korean after she spent three thrilling months in Asia this past April! She is a Public Relations intern for the Board of United Nations for Women, along with being a reliable ski instructor this past year at Deer Valley resort, while taking online classes at Liberty University. She then finally decided to take her passions to Salt Lake City, UT at the University of Utah! Want to know more about her story? Keep reading!

The Board of United Nations for Women

Her Campus: Could you give the readers a background of what the board is all about? 

Kristin Fagerback: We stand for empowering women all throughout the world. I work specifically here in Utah on representing Public Relations; I am reaching out to the community, going to events to help empower women in our own community here in Salt Lake City. 

HC: How did you become a PR intern with the Board?

KF: I got involved with local politicians in Salt Lake City, along with state representatives, and I was attending meetings with them. One day, I met a woman in one meeting who was representing United Nations. I talked to her and got interviewed a few times until they decided to add me to their board. 

HC: Is this a paid internship?

KF: No it is unpaid, but the experience has been well worth it so far!

HC: What has been your favorite project with the Board of United Nations for Women so far? 

KF: Recently, we did the Sneaker Soiree, which helps local girls get involved more with extracurricular activities to stay fit. We supported those young girls as representing the Board of United Nations for Women to help them stay fit, not run into obesity, avoid diabetes, etc. 

Deer Valley Ski Instructing

Her Campus: What motivated you to become a ski instructor last Winter? 

Kristin Fagerback: I love the snow, I love skiing and snowboarding, I love Park City in general, and I thought Deer Valley was the best resort to work for because they provide great benefits for their employees, they treat all of their employees with care, and it is a great community; it is like a family at Deer Valley. You get to get up every morning and go skiing! It cannot get much better than that!

HC: What are the pros and cons of instructing the little kiddos? 

KF: Getting to see the little smiling faces of those who are seeing snow for the first time, and getting to provide what they can do on the snow would definitely be a pro! The cons would probably be seeing the little ones that are being forced to ski, because Mommy and Daddy told them so! They like to scream, they like to hit to the point where they literally kick off their skis at the age of 3 because they really do not want to ski. Overall though, the experience is worth it!

HC: What are the benefits of being a Deer Valley employee? 

KF: Like most ski resorts, you get free passes to other resorts or half-priced tickets. You also get discounts on the amazing Deer Valley food, along with getting invited to Deer Valley employee party events, which are really awesome. You also get to ski at Deer Valley whenever you want for free!

If you are interested in being a ski instructor for Deer Valley this winter, apply here!  http://www.deervalley.com/about/employment

Average First Year Utah Student Questions

Her Campus: How is your experience at the University of Utah going so far?

Kristin Fagerback: So far, I have been surprised about how good the professors are, along with the curriculum. It is also close to the mountains, which I love!

HC: What are your goals for the rest of the semester?

KF: My goal is to have been accepted to an international internship program for this upcoming Summer, and to also maintain a 4.0 GPA, along with being involved with more political and social events. 

HC: Turn on’s?

KF: If he’s mysterious – I like figuring a guy out!

HC: Turn off’s?

KF: Guys who are full of themselves – I don’t like that! 

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor