Katie Yarbrough: Makeup Artist and Trendsetter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet this week’s campus celebrity Katie Yarbrough! Katie is an incredibly talented makeup artist, creative soul, genuine heart and free spirit. Katie has attended a weekend event in Vegas called Color encore that is funded and hosted by Sephora. It takes an exceptional amount of passion and hard work to become invited to attend. Katie is finishing up her undergraduate college career here at the U and before she becomes and alumni Her Campus had to share her beauty wisdom as well as exclusive answers to what it is like to work with brides and what her experience was like at Color Encore.

HCXO

Where do you find inspiration to try new looks?

Katie

I find inspiration in people I meet everyday! I also love following some of the high fashion makeup artists like Pat Mcgrath and Roshar.

HCXO

What is your favorite product?

Katie

My absolute favorite product has to be the Nars Dual Intensity eye shadows. They blend effortlessly and truly are the best formula that I’ve ever worked with! My all the time makeup style is smoky eyes, dewy skin, dewy skin and nude lips. I like my makeup to look a little bit messy and effortless, I get a lot of inspiration from 90s fashion models like Jamie King and Kate Moss.

HCXO

How would you describe your everyday makeup style?

Katie

My everyday makeup style is smoky eyes, dewy skin and nude lips. I like my makeup to look a little bit messy and effortless. I get a lot of my inspiration from 90s fashion models like Jamie King and Kate Moss!

HCXO

What’s the most important product you think every woman should own?

Katie

A good moisturizer! Good makeup starts with good skin.

HCXO

How was experience color encore?

Katie

I was fortunate enough to go to color encore where we had specialized training by Sephora pro artists and brand reps It was an incredible experience and I learned so many tips and tricks from such inspiring artists! It is a really hands on experience and you get a ton of great feedback that really helps you grow and improve your artistry!

HCXO

Fill us in on what it is like to work with brides on their special day

Katie

Working with brides is the greatest! It is cool because it’s a totally unique experience. It’s very intimate and you need to have so much trust in each other as artist and client. It’s the most important day to many of these people’s lives thus far and getting to be apart of that is amazing!

HCXO

I found out you created a beauty room and need to get details on that

Katie

I literally have so much makeup I decided to convert my bedroom into a beauty room. So I moved my bed out and my vanity in! I have an amazing Ikea 9 drawer unit that fits all of my makeup, but I keep the things I use everyday on top of my vanity. I also keep all my clothes and shoes in the beauty room. It makes it super easy to get ready in the morning because everything is in one spot!

HCXO

As busy as you are following your passion for beauty, what are you studying here at the U?

Katie

My major is  Psychology with a minor in economics, but I prefer to pursue makeup as a career once I graduate. 

There you have it my beautiful readers! If you want to become inspired daily from Katie follow her @katieyarbo on Instagram or stop in the Downtown SLC Sephora to book a personal consulation.

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor