If You Don’t Tell Anyone, Did You Really Go To The Gym?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

You work hard for the body you have, so go ahead and show it off. You eat healthy all the time when really all you want is a cheeseburger and a chocolate shake. Your will power is incredible. You exercise regularly and you have been able to mold your body into the body you have always wanted. You work so hard and have seen such great results that you should be able to give pointers to everyone out there, especially all of your social media followers.

Social media has made it possible for every squat, lunge, burpee, and pushup you do to be recorded for all to see. I mean there is no better use for social media than to tweet about that awesome spin class you just took, or how good that low-fat, cauliflower pizza you just made is. With all of your healthy ways it’s your obligation to educate your out of shape friends and followers on how to become just as strong and nourished as you.            

Be sure to post about your love for all health-related clothing, trends and foodstuff. If you have Pinterest or Instagram, these are your outlets to go nuts. Tell your friends all about the amazing spaghetti squash recipe you just tried, because it’s just not fair to deprive the people in your life of such a delicious, and don’t forget healthy, meal. Also, you wouldn’t be a health nut if you didn’t share with us a picture of your new aqua blue Nike Free Runs on Instagram and how well they match with your Lulu Lemon black and blue mesh yoga pants. You live a healthy lifestyle and we all deserve to know about it. We want to know about your love for quinoa, which is so much better for you than brown rice, and how versatile the Sanuk Yoga Sling 2 sandals are. You can wear them to workout or even out at night with your friends. You are just trying to inspire your plump friends to get out there and get fit. There is nothing wrong with that.  

Don’t forget to tell us about your daily routine. By doing so, we can start taking notes on ways to adjust our lives. I want to know how well that squat challenge is working for you and if you are able to really do 286 squats after just 13 days. And when we go to breakfast and I order pancakes with bacon, because it’s my cheat day, please make me feel guilty by ordering an omelet made of egg whites only, wheat toast, and a side of fruit. There is no cheat day when you’re achieving greatness. By advertising the healthy choices and habits you have, I know you are just watching my back. If I can’t keep myself in line, then it is your job to do so.                                               

Lastly, I want to know all about your results. Please tell all of us who are friends with you on Facebook about your journey, and don’t forget the pictures. Show us your bikini body with a picture of you on the beach playing volleyball. We want to know, did you achieve these results with Crossfit, or did you opt for the protein shakes by doing Herbalife or Isogenix? It could have even been a mixture of both, just be sure not to leave a single detail out.

If Facebook bragging isn’t your thing, go ahead and tweet about it. Since you are only allowed 180 characters, all you have to do is tell how many pounds you have dropped since you started biking to work instead of driving. Being as healthy as you are is not easy. You have great will power, a strenuous workout routine, and amazing habits that are hard to keep up with. You are just trying to show us what could happen if we all gave a little more effort to be healthy, so for that we thank you. 

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!