stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Get the Best Sleep of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s January, which means the start of a new semester and lots of failed New Year’s resolutions. If you’re reading this article, you probably made a goal somewhere along the lines of getting better sleep. It’s a fantastic and very popular goal to work on, but let me start off by saying that I’m not going to give you the typical advice to exercise more or to turn off your cell phone an hour before bedtime. Chances are you’ve already heard that advice, and if you’re reading this article, well… you probably haven’t followed it. Instead, I’ve listed a few helpful hacks that can help you get a better night’s sleep without overhauling your entire routine. 

Make Your Bed

No, I’m not kidding. Making your bed is one of the easiest ways to promote more restful sleep. You don’t even have to make it look pretty, just straighten out your sheets and bedspread! Whether you decide to make it in the morning and pull back the covers when it’s bedtime or you simply straighten things up before you hop in, having some sort of nighttime ritual makes it easier for your body to fall asleep. The thought behind this is that the brain will start to associate those specific actions with bedtime and send signals to the body that it’s time to sleep. 

Aromatherapy Pillow Spray

The aromatherapy pillow mists from Bath and Body Works are my secret weapon for a great night of sleep. The scents that they offer are Sleep, Comfort, Stress Relief, and Focus (don’t ask me why they made a pillow mist that’s supposed to keep you awake). Once you spray this on your pillows and sheets, it’s like a blanket of magic sleep potion wraps itself around you. I personally like the stress relief one best because college puts you in a perpetual state of stress that’s nearly impossible to escape. That might explain why I go through entire bottle every semester, who knows. The best part about these are that they only cost $13.50.

Drink an Herbal Tea

Some ingredients found in herbal teas are thought to promote relaxation that can help you fall asleep and stay asleep, the three most common being Chamomile, Lavender, and Valerian. At least one or a combination of these three ingredients are found in most boxes of tea that are labeled as a ‘sleepy’ or relaxing tea. Remember how I mentioned the importance of a nighttime ritual? Go ahead and add this to your bedtime routine. Additionally, if you have also set a goal to drink more water, this will help you kill two birds with one stone.

Cozy Blankets

Let’s get real for a second: Curling up in a warm and cozy blanket is one of the most relaxing things you can do. Which is why you need to treat yourself to one IMMEDIATELY. When I set out on a quest to find a really good cozy blanket, I was shocked to find that they can actually be pretty expensive. Forty dollars for a blanket? Who do these people think I am, one of the Kardashians? All I can say is thank goodness for Amazon Prime Student, from which you can find the perfect comfy blanket for less than fifteen dollars. I don’t need to drop a small fortune on better sleep — I’m just an exhausted college student trying to get some sleep. The link for my favorite cheap Amazon blanket can be found here.

I love these hacks because I’m lazy and I hardly have to do anything to get a decent night’s sleep, so hopefully they’ll help you out, too. Cheers to the New Year and taking the path of least resistance to reach our goals!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor