samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Face Rejection When Applying For Jobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thank you for interviewing for the Office Assistant position 8483. We regret to inform you that we will not be moving forward with your application, however we encourage you to keep applying for other positions.

We have all seen an email like this and have been rejected from a job at least once in our collegiate career. It’s almost like a rite of passage into becoming a true college student. Although being rejected is something that we never want to go through, there are appropriate ways to handle declination and take the experience as a learning opportunity. Here are four important things to remember when facing rejection from a job.

1. Don’t give up.

The most important thing to take away from being rejected is to NEVER GIVE UP. Yes, feeling discouraged is normal. However, don’t let that stop you from trying. Just because you did not get a certain job does not mean that you won’t get a different one. Keep applying for a variety of positions and you’ll be bound to succeed eventually.

2.  It’s good practice for future employment.

Even though you did not get the job, going through the application and interview process didn’t hurt you any. It was a good way to practice professionalism in interviews and displaying your unique abilities. The time and effort that you put into that specific job is only going to give you more experience for what to expect from potential employers in the future.

3. Don’t let rejection make you feel like less than you are.

Being rejected from a job does not make you unworthy or label you as not good enough. You are good enough. And eventually an employer will see all the amazing qualities that you possess. It is crucial to have a confident and positive mentality about the situation. Continue to put yourself out there and never feel like you are insignificant because you are AWESOME.

4. A better opportunity may arise.

Ever heard the saying “one door closes and another one opens?” Don’t let the fact that you didn’t get a job you applied for discourage you. Because you may stumble across another opportunity that will make you realize why the first one didn’t work out to begin with. Be open minded when applying for jobs and you may find one that you didn’t expect and actually enjoy doing it.

What you should take from this article is to not beat yourself up over things that are out of your control. Handle rejection with grace and keep moving forward and applying for jobs with a positive attitude.  As best said by Rachel from Friends: I leave you with this.

Kaylee Ann Mortensen is a student at the University of Utah studying International Studies and English. In her free time she can be found reading, trying to master the language of french, looking up pictures of grizzly bears, and eating french fries.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor