How to Cope With the One Direction Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A recent tragedy has struck the hearts of fans across the globe. Zayn Malik has decided to leave the wildly popular boyband, One Direction. It feels as if he has personally broken up with all of us. Though the band will continue without him as a four piece, they will never be the same. Millions of fans feel as though they have each been dumped, and he is not easy to get over. To get through this incredibly difficult loss, we must find ways to cope. Here a few steps that may help with that process.

Step 1:  Stare at your screen in silence. 

So you just read the news. Like, how could this happen? Before your mind starts thinking of all the things you could have done to make him stay, just take a moment to process everything. This is life changing news. Don’t rush it. 

Step 2:  Get Angry. 

How could he do this to me? I have supported them from the beginning! I was there for him when they were just starting out, and when they grew into a worldwide phenomenon. Do you know how many tweets I sent just to brighten his day, and now this!? Not even a warning! Like, no “heads up, I’m kinda thinking about ruining the rest of your life this week, I’ll keep you posted!” NO! Not even a phone call. I had to read it on the internet. Nice. I JUST bought his album. Like, I know it’s not HIS album, but still. Ugh. Whatever.

Step 3:  Cry. A Lot.

I prefer to cry in my car, but some other good options are: near a window on a rainy day, with your back against the front door as you dramatically slide down into a fetal position, a bathroom stall, in your panic room, your grandma’s house, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, or in a blanket fort you made because who has an actual panic room? Wherever you do it, just let the tears flow! And they shall flow, and cleanse the earth. Cry me a river? Ha, yeah, I’ll cry you the Pacific Ocean.

Step 4:  Replace him with two even better men: Ben and Jerry.

Nothing fills that gaping hole in your heart quite like a pint of chocolate fudge brownie. It is completely acceptable to lay on the floor for six hours surrounded by empty ice cream containers with their latest album on repeat. No judgment. 

Step 5:  Retail Therapy.

When the ice cream melts and the hole is back, fill it with a fabulous new outfit that you are totally going to wear to Five Seconds of Summer’s next concert. Strut your stuff in those new heels and he will come crawling back. What’s that Zayn? I look like a dime piece and you want me back? Of course you do, honey. But I’ve moved on. 

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor