This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The day you moved into your dorm was simultaneously the most freeing day of your life and the most terrifying. You finally had a space all to yourself and you could do whatever you wanted with it. But decorations are a lot more expensive than you thought and the white walls seem to be getting…whiter. There’s a lot of wall space to fill so here are 3 DIY decorations for a variety of skill levels!

Door Sign

Making friends on your floor can sometimes make or break you dorm experience so what better way to invite people in than a cute crafty sign to hang on your door?

This one looks complicated but it’s all paper! I layered different colors and patterns and found chipboard letters at Michael’s. The teal swirl is just a strip of paper folded like an accordion and glued in a circle. It’s super easy to hang on the door with a command hook, and looks amazing!

Key Hooks

It’s easy to lose track of your keys in the dorms, especially if you’re not used to keeping track of one for you room. Having a nice hook to hang by the door is an easy way to make sure you never leave home without it.

For these, I was able to find the wooden blocks and letters at Michael’s for a couple dollars and the hooks at Home Depot. I painted the wood and then used mod podge to stick the paper on the inner square. I also used mod podge to stick the letters on and the hooks were screw-in ones so it didn’t require any real handiness.

Dreamcatcher

Even if you don’t totally believe the superstitions, it could be nice to know that something in your room supposedly catches bad dreams!

This one is a little more challenging but if you’re good at learning from YouTube tutorials, it should be a piece of cake! The circle is just a small embroidery hoop wrapped with two skeins of embroidery floss. The feathers and beads are tied on with twine and then it gets tricky. Making the middle pattern is definitely the hardest parts but there is plenty of online help like this video here.

There’s no need to break the bank at Anthropologie or wistfully add loads of decorations to your Amazon wishlists. A quick trip to the craft store is all you need to pimp out your dorm room so that even Pinterest would be proud!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor