Her Creative Writing: Romance on First South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The wind whips angrily like a wet towel, stinging my face. You would think that my basset hound-cheeks would keep my face insulated and warm but no such luck. I carefully walk down first South-commonly known as ‘greek row’- on my way home from the student health center. The sidewalk was almost as cruel as the wind. Sticking up randomly, creating an insanely dangerous pathway for someone so uncoordinated.

I look both ways before crossing the first intersection, and notice a gap between cars. A hard arm hits into my collarbone, blocking me from the road. Furious, I rip my headphones out of my ears and turn to the stranger next to me. Who the hell does that? It reminded me of when my mom drove crazy and stuck her arm out in front of me as if it were a second seat belt.

“You really shouldn’t be crossing the street at night with both head phones in your ears,” the strange boy said. “It can be very distracting and can impact your judgement.” He lifts his eyebrows and looks over to the street as a red car from the opposite direction flies passed us. Faster than I thought it was going two seconds ago.

His deep blue eyes look like they could see into my soul. If I had a soul anyway. That almost made me angrier, pretty boys think they can do and say whatever they want. “Well I would have made it across the street in time if your huge arm didn’t knock the wind out of me,” I spat at him, putting one of my headphones back in. The bright walking sign started blinking, thank God.

“So you think my arms are huge?” He asks, annoyingly following me across the street like a lost puppy.

I don’t know why the ‘screw off attitude’ I had stamped on my forehead wasn’t working. I was so done with boys, they are literally the worst. Especially boys who are prettier than me. “Whatever helps you sleep at night,” I say, sliding my other ear bud in.

He tugs my head phone out like a cat playing with a ball of string.  “I don’t know if you have picked up on the social que’s yet, but when someone put both headphones in, that means they don’t want to talk to you.”

“I’m Jake,” he says, completely ignoring me. Of course he had a perfect smile.

“You’re wasting your time,” I say, tucking a strand of dark hair behind my ear. “I’m a total cliché, not a mystery novel.”

The intersection at 1300 east is a little sketchier to play Frogger with. I glare at the huge stone wall to my right, blocking my vision of traffic.

“Well lucky for you, Love Actually is my favorite movie.”

I almost release another snarky comment but hold my tongue. That was actually kind of funny. The next bright walking sign starts flashing. I notice Jake continue to follow me across the street. Was he stalking me?

“So, are you stalking me?” he asks. “Not that I mind at all.”

“Funny, I was about to ask you the same thing,” I say. “But I do mind, I don’t like stray cats. Or any cats for that matter.”

A solo leaf scurries across the side walk, I trap it under my boot with a crunch. Part of me wished my apartment was further away, but a stronger part of me is relieved when I turn left and see my building only yards away. Excitement rushes through my veins as I notice his brown hair still next to me.

“You know I have pepper spray,” I say.

His blue eyes glance over at me, “I dare you.”

I reach into my coat pocket, and pull out the pepper spray. Hopefully this really works. That could be awkward. I point it at him, mostly joking.

“I live in these gray apartments,” He says, putting his hands up and stepping away slowly toward his building. “Don’t shoot!” He yells dramatically.

I can’t help but laugh.

“You’re welcome,” he says, smirking at me.

I slide the pepper spray back into my pocket and stare at him in confusion. “For what?”

“I found it.” He says, smiling back at me.

I love Cabins surrounded by trees and words that combine into a beautiful story. Creating stories from my awkward life experiences is almost as great as listening to a rainstorm pattering against my window as I drift off to sleep. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor