Her Campus Exclusive: Never Shout Never

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

NeverShoutNever jumped into the music scene in 2007.  Most collegiete’s probably had NeverShoutNever filling up their IPod nanos with songs like “Big City Dreams”, “Happy” and “Trouble”.  NeverShoutNever is the perfect mixture of feel-good love songs and goofy dance songs.  Her Campus was able to ask NeverShoutNever lead guitarist and vocals, Christofer Drew, some questions about how their current tour and the band as a whole.

HC: What are you looking forward to most coming to Utah?

NeverShoutNever: “It’s a real pretty city.  There’s a lot of nice people there.  Every time we’ve played there I just remember leaving with some sort of satisfaction with the crowd and the show.”

HC: Any tour must-haves?

NeverShoutNever: “I eat a pretty vegetarian diet. I always have to go to Whole Foods and grab all sorts of organic snacks and what not.”

HC: How have you been able to grow musically as a band while on tour?

NeverShoutNever: By playing shows every night and also doing covering songs and stuff like that. Whenever I first started touring I really was a pretty sorry singer and guitar player, and then after being on the road for 7 or 8 years we’re starting to get a real hang for it.  It’s just like anything; practice makes perfect and there’s not really a better way to practice music than playing shows every night.”

HC: What do you learn most from your band mates musically?

NeverShoutNever:  “Well, we all bring something different to the table musically, and we all have different tastes.  Whenever we’re jamming people will come up with stuff that no other person would have come up with.  So there is also kind of a friend thing too.  We’re friends and we’re playing music, so it’s a good connection.  I owe a lot of the skills I’ve acquired throughout the years to friends.”

HC: After releasing 7 albums, how do you continue to challenge yourself?

NeverShoutNever: “I think that for us it’s always been about experimenting and trying new stuff.  Just whenever we think we have something good, we f**k it up.  And were just gonna keep experimenting and trying new things, catching people off guard, with our new songs.”

HC: How has your music artistry and writing style changed since your first album?

NeverShoutNever: ”I definitely got a lot better, writing wise.  I’ve listened to a lot of great music since then.  I was very sheltered musically growing up, so I was able to get out and hear about a bunch of different sounds. We realize there’s something really nice about simplicity.  I think that’s what’s charming about some of our earlier stuff, is that it was just simple.  Were trying to get back to that too, for some of the stuff.  But we also like making crazy complex [music] as well.”

HC: Black Cat was released a few months ago, what are your favorite songs to perform off the new album?

NeverShoutNever: ”We’ve been playing the song Red Balloon which is pretty fun, its got a good little dance beat to it.  That one’s really fun.  I also like the song Boom, that one’s really goofy and strange.”

HC: What is your favorite song to perform that might not be from Black Cat?

NeverShoutNever: “We made the song Piggy Bank a staple in our set.  We have a real fun jam at the end.  We kind of made up a new ending for the song so we have a good time playing that.  We like playing that one first, it’s a good little warm up.”

Make sure to grab tickets to see NeverShoutNever perform this Thursday at the Venue. https://www.saltlakecityconcerts.net/eventx/never-shout-never-2/ 

I have a deep love for mermaids, pitbulls, swearing, and all things involving food.  Shania Twain is my spirit animal and I'm a converted Belieber.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor