This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Healthy relationships are essential to our own mental health and well being. Promoting healthy relationships between friends, your family, and significant other should be as prevalent as avocado toast. It’s something that just isn’t talked about as much as it should be – especially when human relationships can get as complicated as the Kardashian-Jenner family. Here are a few key tips to making and keeping healthy relationships in your life.

First and foremost, one of the best tips to having healthy relationships in your life is honest, open communication! No one is a mind reader (even though that would be the most helpful super power). Subtle hints, passive aggressive messages, and subtweets won’t get you anywhere. If you really want to solve anything, you have to be open about what is wrong or what you want. It’s scary to be vulnerable and tell the truth sometimes, but I promise that in the end, it’s worth it.

Setting boundaries and taking time for yourself is also important. Especially when you’re in a romantic relationship, it’s hard not to want to be with the person you are head over heels for 24/7, but that’s not healthy. You need to find your own hobbies, get sushi with friends, or go to yoga in the mornings because that’s what you like to do. Still taking time to better yourself and maintain other important connections in your life creates positive boundaries with people.

Look for the positives in the people around you. When you see what you are grateful for in your friends, family, and significant other instead of their faults it makes a relationship so much more uplifting. The more you look for someone’s flaws, the more of them you will find. The same goes for the opposite — the more you look for someone’s strengths and great qualities, the more you’ll find. When you are looking for the best in people, you’ll be so much happier with the people you have.

Be genuine and sincere with others. People know when you are being fake. This goes along the lines of honest communication, but it’s even more than that. It’s being genuine in your actions as well. Be yourself in what you do, the things you say, and the way you treat others. People will take notice.

The last tip I have is to not take life too seriously. Life is short, so care for the people that are close to you and don’t let them forget how much you love them. Life is too short to be cold towards others and not let yourself care about people as much as you can. Be genuine, communicate, set boundaries, be grateful, and the rest will fall into place.

So, let’s make healthy relationships all the rage and love one another.

Three cheers for positive support systems!

Sources: 1, 2, 3