Football Feature: USC vs Utah: 4-Oh So Good To Be Undefeated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Have you ever been told that you can’t do something, or that you won’t be able to do something because you’re just not good enough? That’s exactly what everyone was thinking when it came to the Utes beating USC. Last year, the Utes fell to a score of 42-24 against the Trojans, but when they came to Sack Lake City, the Utes made sure that USC wouldn’t walk out with a win.

Utah is a perfect 4-0 team as of right now, and there are a few things and people to thank for that, so let’s break it down, because if you missed this game, I hope you had a really good reason why.

I’m going to give you guys the really fun and simple explanation of this game. 

The Utes were and have always seemed to be a second quarter team, so that’s what we’re going to talk about. The Utes put all their efforts into the offensive line this time around, because we may be able to stop the other team, but if we don’t score, we don’t win. 

While everything comes back to the third down, the Utes kept falling one to two yards short of getting the first down, so coach Whittingham did not disappoint and gave the plays that converted the fourth, into a first down. Not once, not twice, but four times throughout the game, allowing the Utes to get closer and closer to the end zone, where the Utes were able to show the Trojans, that last year’s score, wouldn’t be close to this years. 

Troy Williams; Utah’s quarterback was able to pass the ball to Singleton, have Shyne run the ball into the end zone, and then right after that, have Asiata recover it, and with only 16 seconds left in the game, and a 3 point difference keeping Utah from tying up the game, Troy Williams throws the ball down the field, into the end zone, to Tim Patrick, where he catches the ball in the red, to give Utah a touchdown, and an another 7 points to add to the scoreboard, giving Utah the 4 point lead, to clinch the win.

The Utes go into this week against Cal in Berkley, CA who lost against Arizona State this last weekend.

And in case you weren’t around to hear last year, we played Cal in ESPN’s Game day coverage, and beat them 30-24.

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor