Style > Beauty

Five Money-Saving Beauty Secrets that will Change your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Are you all about major beauty and style but your wallet is continuously weeping? Well ladies, we have a few beauty secrets that are too good to keep to ourselves! Here are some ways to keep both you and your wallet looking and feeling great!

1. Pump it up
There is nothing sexier than big hair with lots of body, but salon quality volumizing products can really start to make your budget skinny. Well girls, penny-pinch to pay for your product no more! To fight of the flat, celebrity stylists suggest conditioning your hair before shampooing. This technique works because conditioner leaves residue on your hair that can weigh it down and make it appear limp. Shampooing after conditioning will wash out this residue giving you some serious volume. The best part? The lack of extra residue on your hair will let you go longer between washes. Just make sure to use a deep conditioning treatment once a week. Enjoy those bodacious locks, ladies!

2. White Bright
One of the first things people notice about you is your smile, so you need to make a bright, white statement. Whitening strips work wonders overtime, but they can also really take a chunk out of your beauty budget. Instead, try mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in a small bowl. Dip your toothbrush into the mixture, brush it onto your teeth for a few minutes and voila! White teeth! The mixture doesn’t taste as good as normal toothpaste, so try to keep the mixture off your tongue while brushing. Afterwards you can wash out the bad taste with water. Your teeth should be a few shades whiter after just one use but you will notice a bigger difference after using this mixture a few times a week. Just remember, this little trick doesn’t take the place of regular brushing and flossing!

3. High and Dry
Whoever said diamonds are a girl’s best friend never used dry shampoo. Whether you need to freshen up after an intense workout or need to stretch that style out one more day, dry shampoo will make your hair look freshly washed. You don’t need to spend all your hard earned cash to freshen up between washes, either. Baby powder absorbs oil in hair the same way dry shampoo does. Just sprinkle a little on the top of your head and work in until it all disappears. Keep in mind, a little bit goes a long way. Using too much can make darker hair appear dull or the strong scent will give away your secret!

4. Give Me Some Sugar
Sugar scrubs are the sweetest way to get that smooth, sexy skin, but even at the cheapest of stores the price tag for a luxurious sugar scrub isn’t so sexy. Try this quick and easy recipe for a DIY scrub that won’t have your wallet losing weight.
What you’ll need:

• 1/4 c white sugar
• 1/4 c brown sugar
• 1/2 c oil (any kind will do-we use olive oil)
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• Any kind of container. We like using an old mini mason jar.
Whisk the two sugars and cinnamon together until even. Pour in oil and mix together using a spoon. You may have to add more oil/sugar to get the right consistency. Drop in vanilla and stir. Use this scrub on your skin before shaving for the smoothest, longest lasting shave. And seriously, smell your skin after.
Love it enough to share? Tie a bow around the jar and you’ve got a cheap gift your girls will love!

5. “Berry” Clear
If you are prone to acne, your ticket to clear skin is probably sitting in your kitchen right now. A refreshing strawberry mask can help get rid of acne spots and clear up blemishes. All you have to do is mash up three strawberries and blend it with two tablespoons of honey. Leave it on for about 20 minutes and rinse with water. Apply the mask a couple times a week and you’ll be in the clear!

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!