Female Sexuality is Not Equivalent to Immorality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A few weeks ago, Emma Watson’s sexual Vanity Fair cover made headlines. Watson, a “supposed” feminist, appeared in a Vanity Fair March editorial wearing a revealing top that showed much of her breasts. Many protested that as a feminist, it was ironic for Watson to appear in a sexual photo shoot seemingly tailored to the male gaze.

I saw similar lapses in the definition of morality a few months ago, a short period of time after the election, when I stumbled upon this video, critiquing those opposed to Donald Trump’s “crudeness.” The man in the video, YouTube user j.ournalpoems, narrates the hypocrisy that comes from the idea that “morals suddenly matter again” in light of the 2016 election results. The man listed several “immoral” examples from American pop culture, and went on to zero in on what he considered to be the apex of immorality: Beyonce.

“President Obama says that she is a ‘great role model’ for his teenage girls. But what do her songs say?” He went on to show a slide of many sexual lyrics from Beyonce’s songs, pointing out that her singing “first my legs go back on your head, whatever you want, yeah baby, I’m bad” was the morally the same level of crude as Donald Trump’s comments about sexual assault.

Though these situations are different, they both showcase a societal distaste for openly expressed female sexuality. Too often, our society confuses female sexuality with deviant immorality. Perhaps this draws on the age old Adam-and-Eve doctrine where Eve was shamed for tempting Adam. Or maybe this draws on our society’s current inability to distance itself from outmoded ideals of feminine behavior. To the surprise of many, women would appreciate the ability to express their sexuality in the same way that has always been permissible for men. Women expressing their sexuality are often criticized, or treated as if they have committed some inexcusable sin.

Men, on the other hand rarely receive backlash for similar actions.

In 2014, for example, Nick Jonas shot a deeply sexual editorial for the October issue of Flaunt magazine.

A quick Google search of the media commentary revolving on this photo shoot reveals many articles praising the youngest Jonas brother on his chiseled physique.

On the contrary, a quick Google search of the media commentary revolving on Emma Watson’s photo shoot reveals a thick buzz of controversy from those who believe that Watson’s feminist beliefs clash with her sexual editorial. Clearly, there is still a double standard in the ways that we allow men and women to express themselves.

Choice is the acting element of the feminist movement. Some feminists choose to cover their bodies, save themselves for marriage, and keep quiet about their sexuality. There is nothing wrong with this! But when Beyonce sings about how she wants her man to treat her in the bedroom and suddenly she’s the equivalent of a man that brags about sexual assault. And even though male celebrities such as Nick Jonas can appear in magazines crotch grab and all, female celebrities like Emma Watson are still be slut shamed for similar photoshoots.

And some might argue that the difference here lies in the fact that Emma Watson labeled herself as a feminist before taking this photoshoot. These individuals might argue that Watson’s involvement in the feminist movement should preempt her involvement in a racy photoshoot.

But why? As stated before, feminism is all about celebrating female choice, and that must include the choice to be sexual. And this exists in spite of the honorable fight many feminists faced to earn intellectual reputations beyond a superficial male gaze. It’s time to stop shaming women for expressing their sexuality. After all, we are in the midst of a feminist movement revolving around choice. And the female choice to be sexual is certainly a choice we need to respect.

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor