stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Feeling Better On Your Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s the time of the month we all dread. It’s filled with cramps, headaches, senseless cravings, mood swings, and so many more other awful symptoms. The worst part is, there’s only so much relief you can get. Speaking as one who has tried everything, and I mean everything, here are some tried and true ways to feel a little more like yourself on your period.

1) Water, water, water!

It is so important to stay hydrated, especially when you’re losing so much liquid. So when your Hell Week begins, make a tiny pact with your favorite water bottle, “til the end of the week do us part”. Keep water by your bed, take it to class, just keep drinking water. Besides being all-around good for you, it can ease cramps and make your periods less–well–bloody.

2) Heating Pads

The pain of menstrual cramps is pretty unrivaled as far as pain goes. It’s been described as your insides trying to claw their way out of your body, it’s been compared to the pain of childbirth, in other words, it’s BAD. And no matter how you twist and curl your body, it seems impossible to get comfortable. I highly recommend investing in a heating pad. Curling up with it around your lower belly is one of the only ways I’ve found to get comfortable.

3) Avoid: sugar, caffeine, and alcohol

As miserable as it sounds going through Shark Week without coffee, chocolate, or something to take the edge off, it really is in your best interest. Though common cravings, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol have been shown to worsen or even trigger cramps. You can decide for yourself if that Frappuccino is really worth it but I’ll gladly take no cramps every time.

4) Iron supplements

Most of what we lose on our period is blood which has a lot of iron in it. Iron that your body can’t replenish effectively without some help. You can get over-the-counter supplements easily to help keep your levels healthy without having to eat a steak every day.

5) Distraction

The majority of period symptoms are the result of hormone and other chemical imbalances. The easiest way to combat the mood swings and body aches are to simply take your mind of what’s happening to you. Try out some new shows on Netflix in your comfiest PJs, grab some coloring books and connect with your inner child, but whatever you do, stay busy. Laying around in pain isn’t helping anybody, especially you.

6) Exercise- with caution

This is one of those “know your limits” times. Personally, I can’t run a step during my time of the month without feeling like I’m being stabbed. Repeatedly. However, many people find cardio very relieving of their cramps and aches and it’s one of the last things we think we should be doing. So give it a try but expect the unexpected because everyone reacts to it differently.

It’s a miserable time but it’s also a time that reminds us of how powerful we are as women. It’s proof that we work, that we have the ability to create life. Rather than seeing it as a weakness or an illness, try to think of your period as you being alive… or as a “phew,” nothing inside you is alive. Either way, here’s to you feeling a little more like yourself when you usually feel anything but.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor