This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The start of this month means that finals are over, flowers are blooming, and only one week of free time before summer semester starts. May’s fashion forecast is here, and the perfect weather deserves to be enjoyed in an outfit equally as exceptional. This month the focus is on classic trends, reminiscent of the 1950’s, that are reimagined for modern day. Ready to step into a different era?

Ruching and ruffles made a prominent appearance on the Spring 2018 runways, with designers including Chanel, Alexander McQueen, and Calvin Klein participating in the trend. The ruffled edges of this comfortable ruched shirt lend a hint of delicacy to an otherwise simple top. Don’t mistake simple for boring though, the elegance of this top is contained in its subtle details. Your shoulders will soak up the spring sunlight in the off-shoulder style, and even if you’re as pale as me right now, opting for a classic white will show off your glow. It’s an effortless and bold addition to any spring wardrobe.

Where to find it: Forever 21

Price: $10.90

Denim skirts tend to give me flashbacks of my first job as a hostess at a western-themed restaurant, but that is neither here nor there. Tom Ford and Calvin Klein strongly featured denim in their Spring/Summer 2018 runways, and luckily the denim skirts I get to pick out myself are much cuter than the ‘customer service friendly’ one I wore in early 2013.  The denim skirt featured here offers dimension through the cutout front while still maintaining decent coverage in the back. The frayed hem gives it more of an edgier and casual feel than their A line straight-hemmed counterparts. And best of all, the material is thick enough to feel like its durable quality while still having enough elasticity to move comfortably in, perfect for skipping away from all of your responsibilities now that it’s almost summer!

Where to find it: Forever21 

Price: $17.90

These triangular sunglasses are arguably my favorite part of this whole ensemble. If you read April’s fashion forecast, you probably already know that I love sunglasses. They’re the perfect functional fashion piece, especially for sunny weather, and they’re an incredibly easy way to level up any outfit. Spring runways exploded with many notable designers including Prada and Louis Vuitton opting for the smaller, angled style of the sunglasses featured. The triangular style is reminiscent of small cat-eye frames from the 1950’s, offering an edge of sophistication and flair when paired with modern outfits.  

Where to find it: CottonOn

Price: $14.95 or two pairs for $15

That’s the end of May’s fashion forecast! As Kenzo Takada said, “Fashion is like eating, you shouldn’t stick to the same menu.” Trends are constantly changing and being able to experiment with them is what makes writing these articles so much fun. We’ll just have to wait and see what’s in store for the month of June.

(All photos are my own)

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor