Everything You Need to Know To Make Your 21st Birthday Incredible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Ah, the big 2-1.  You’ve waited your whole college life for this moment.  You can’t wait to go out with all your cool older friends and enjoy a night to remember.  The only problem is, many inexperienced birthday babes won’t remember it at all.  I’ve compiled a list of the best advice for you to survive (and remember) your 21st birthday!

Start off the night slow.  Don’t pregame too hard or you won’t want to drink at the bar. Or you’ll drink a ton at the bar and black out within the first 5 minutes.

The earlier you go out, the less people will be at the bars and the less time you will have to wait in lines.

Go overboard! Your 21st birthday only happens once! Wear a sash, a tiara, and loudly boast that it is your birthday! Don’t forget to take lots of pictures!

Go out with friends who will stay with you the whole night and help take care of you if you get a little too rowdy.  If possible, have an underage friend drive you to and from the bars.

Be excited, but don’t hype the night up too much.  Be flexible with your plans and where the night takes you.

If you tell people its your birthday they’re bound to buy you drinks. Try to stick to one type of alcohol to ensure you don’t vomit.

Play bar games or dance, it’ll give you something to do other than drink. You’re trying to make memories not alcoholism.

Bring an experienced drinker to slip the shots/drinks to when you don’t want them.

Everyone needs to have a mind eraser from Cheers on their 21st

Try to drink a small cup of water after every drink. (This is the best advice you will ever find)

Bar hop! Try to hit as many bars as you can so you get a feel what they’re like.

Be prepared to wait in line for the bathroom if you’re a girl. Or sneak into the men’s bathroom if you’re a rebel

At the end of the night, stop by The Pie Hole or Beto’s for some druchie snacks.

Make sure you don’t make plans with your family or have to work the next morning.  Allow yourself time to recuperate.

Keep a bottle of water, Pedialyte, and Advil by your bed.  Hung over you will be grateful the next morning.

I have a deep love for mermaids, pitbulls, swearing, and all things involving food.  Shania Twain is my spirit animal and I'm a converted Belieber.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor