kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eat Your Way to a Well-Balanced Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We’ve heard it in advertisements since we were kids, “part of a well balanced diet”. What does that even mean? How does one define well-balanced? These vague terms can be frustrating when you’re looking at your plate wondering if it’s making the healthy and well-balanced cut. With the constant stream of information and varying opinions on every type of food out there, it can definitely be tough to figure out what your body needs.

The answer is simple: Every meal should contain carbohydrates, protein, and (healthy!) fat. 

Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are necessary for optimal brain function and general function of your entire body. There is no reason to fear carbs as long as you keep them complex. Your body takes longer to digest complex carbs, and can utilize their energy better. Aboyt 40-50% of your daily diet should be carbs. Any lower and you will begin to suffer from low energy. Above is a good guideline to follow for healthy versus non-healthy carbs. Keep in mind that fruits and vegetables are considered carbs, but they are so low calorie that you shouldn’t worry about portions…within reason.

Protein

Protein is constantly at work in your body, repairing tissues (bones, teeth, nails, hair), rebuilding muscle, and generally creating structure. It cannot be stored so we must eat it consistently. There are various sources for protein (plant and animal) so there is never any excuse to not be getting enough. Protein should make up about 30% of your daily diet.

Fat

Repeat after me: FAT IS GOOD! MY BODY NEEDS FAT! Now that we have that out of the way…fat is a necessary component in proper metabolic function. Ingesting fat does not mean your body will store it as fat. Fat is an excellent energy source, and it keeps important functions (immune, reproductive, and vitamin to name a few) up to snuff. You know that a fat is healthy if it comes from a plant source, or fish. Eggs and meat are healthy sources of fats when eaten in moderation. Roughly 10-20% of your diet should consist of these healthy fats.

Vitamins & Minerals

I mentioned earlier that fruits and vegetables are part of the carbohydrate family. However, they are generally so low in carb and calorie count, they are almost like “free” foods. They must be eaten daily (in addition to your carbs, fats, and proteins) because they provide necessary vitamins and minerals, which will contribute to the proper function of all the macronutrients. 

Example of a WELL-BALANCED day:

Breakfast: 3/4 C oatmeal (carbs), 2 eggs (protein & fat), 1/2 C strawberries (carbs)

Lunch: chicken salad sandwich (protein) on whole wheat bread (carbs), side salad with dressing (carbs & fat)

Snack: apple (carbs) & peanut butter (protein & fat)

Dinner: baked sweet potato with olive oil and sea salt (carbs & fat), steamed broccoli (carbs), grilled salmon (protein & fat)

Enjoy and HCXO!

Mallory has her B.S. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Utah, and is currently completing medical school pre-requisites. Her love for fitness started with her first dance class at the age of 3, and has taken her on a journey through various sports and activities. Now a competitive amateur boxer & Muay Thai fighter, Mallory loves to push her own limits and inspire others to do the same.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor