Duncan Stewart, Debater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Duncan Stewart is part of a unique team at the U. The team members travel around the country for competitions, participate in service projects throughout each semester directly related to their work, scholarships for their participation and are a small group of 25 students. Have you guessed what team? He’s part of the U’s forensics program!

As part of the speech and debate team at the U, Stewart has the opportunity to travel and compete in competitions across the country. Last year, he traveled to the United States Air Force Academy and Lewis and Clark College. Traveling with his teammates has increased their bond and cohesiveness. “I love hanging out with all my friends on the weekends, that is, when I’m not with most of them traveling around the country to compete,” said Stewart.

As a team member, Stewart is required to complete 15 hours of service with the high school debate community in Utah. This includes judging tournaments, coaching students and helping to grow smaller programs. This year specifically, he has focused on schools that are lacking debate programs and the resources to start them. Stewart, along with the team, volunteers his time to increase these programs and help students find the outlet he found when he was in high school.

In his sophomore year of high school, Stewart realized forensics provided a “space for sensitive weirdos of all different social locations to come together and force people to listen to them for 7-10 minutes.” He values this space and attributes the debate community to his success and confidence.

Stewart’s main event in forensics is parliamentary debate, which is a two-on-two heated and fast-paced match between two teams. The topics require intricate details and technical knowledge. Each round a new topic emerges, and students must be ready to defend their side. All members of the speech and debate team participate in this event.

When he is not spitting fire at another team in “the most challenging but most rewarding academic game ever created,” Stewart enjoys different recreational activities. He loves lacrosse, hockey, longboarding and skiing. He gets his art fix through music, painting and independent film. After he receives his degree from the U, he plans on heading to graduate school or finding a job through his debate experience. Either way, he will continue speaking, volunteering and debating!

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!