DIY Succulents: The Perfect Low-Maintenance Plant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you love the way a plant will brighten a room, but can’t keep it alive to save your life. Whether it’s forgetting to water them or they just decide to die, plants are hard.

Lucky for us, succulents are trendy and in-style. This low maintenance plant only needs to be watered once a week, and probably won’t die if you forget even that!

This DIY shows some fun ways to display and repot your succulents.

Supplies:

• Potting Soil
  • Sand/Gravel
  • Fun Containers and Pots! (I used bowls, cups, and candleholders)
  • SUCCULENTS (Wal-Mart and Trader Joes have a great selection right now)
  • Whatever you want to decorate with!

STEP 1: Prepare a workspace that can get a little messy. Gather your succulents and containers here!

STEP 2: De-pot your succulents—be careful not to damage the roots.

STEP 3: Add succulents to their new pots and fill in the extra space with potting soil.

STEP 4: Add some fun gravel or dirt. I spray-painted some gravel gold and added it for a fun look!

STEP 5: Decorate your pots! I added washi tape and ribbon I had lying around to mine.

STEP 6: Enjoy your masterpieces!

Place them where they can get lots of sun. Let them adjust to their new pots and don’t water them for at least a week after planting, or wait until the soil is completely dry.

I'm always in the mood for tacos or pizza, just saying. If there's dogs involved, I'm in! I am currently studying Biochemistry at the University of Utah, and hoping to go attend veterinary school after graduation!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor