Cruelty Free Makeup Brands You’re Already Using

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

In 2003, the world was blessed with Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde.  This movie not only gave us another 2 hours of Elle Woods, but also showed the world how unfair animal testing is.  Sadly, many makeup brands test on animals, but there are probably more than you’d expect that don’t. This article will show you which of your beloved makeup brands you may already be using stand up for those who cannot speak for themselves and are cruelty-free!

Hourglass Cosmetics is a luxury cosmetic brand that is most well known for their innovative and flawless face makeup formulas. Sold at Nordstrom, Sephora.

ELF (eyes. lips. face) is a drugstore makeup brand best known for having inexpensive, yet quality makeup.  Their shades are similar to higher end brands but for a much more appropriate price.  Sold at Kmart, Target, Walgreens, Wal-mart, Old Navy, and CVS.

Too Faced is a higher end makeup brand that is most known for their intoxicating scents used with their makeup (they have an eye shadow pallet that smells like chocolate)! The majority of their products are also vegan. Sold at Ulta, Macy’s, Nordstrom, and Sephora.

Hard Candy is an exclusive Wal-mart brand of beauty products.  Sold at Wal-Mart, obviously.

Anastasia Beverly Hills is a high-end makeup brand best known for their insanely amazing brow products.  Sold at Sephora, Macy’s, Ulta, and Nordstrom.

Kat Von D Beauty is a high-end brand best known for high-quality and highly pigmented makeup. Sold at Sephora.

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is a high-end cosmetic company best known for their lip tar and being vegan. Sold at Nordstrom and Sephora.

The Balm is a makeup brand known for their pinup girl packaging. Sold at Kohl’s and found in Birchbox, and Ipsy subscriptions.

Bite is a high-end makeup brand that specializes in lip products. Sold at Sephora.

Milani is a drugstore makeup brand known for selling high-quality makeup at affordable prices. Sold at Walgreens, Target, Wal-Mart, and CVS.

A drugstore makeup brand, Physicians Formula is best known for their face makeup products. Sold at Ulta, Walgreens, and Wal-mart.

Sonia Kashuk is a drugstore brand that sells makeup, accessories, and tools and is very well known for quality makeup brush sets.  Sold at Target.

A drugstore makeup brand, Wet N’ Wild sells a plethora of makeup products in similar shades to high-end brands. Sold at Walgreens and Target.

There are many more beauty brands that do not test on animals. If using cruelty-free beauty brands is important to you make sure to do your research before purchasing a product from a company.  As Elle Woods said, “I’m here to speak for those who can’t speak for themselves”.

I have a deep love for mermaids, pitbulls, swearing, and all things involving food.  Shania Twain is my spirit animal and I'm a converted Belieber.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor