College Confessions: What No One Told Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

College is a time of serious transition—with the endless social and academic opportunities, all of that newfound freedom and responsibility create a balancing act that can be tricky to tackle. While you may have been warned of some basic college woes, including the Freshman Fifteen and the stressful Greek Week, we’ve asked some girls around campus about the problematic parts of college life that came without warning, and the lessons they learned along the way.

Meet Kayla

Studying: Marketing

Largest College Lesson: Don’t Overlook Your Health

It’s easy to get caught up in the both the excitement and stressors of school, but it is so important to remember your own health and live in a way that can maintain it,”

While weight gain is a major health concern for many freshman, eating well can also impact more than just your waistline— it improves your mood and clears your mind (& your skin!) “Also, go outside or to the Fieldhouse! A little exercise goes a long way. Gym sessions are a really great study break,” suggests Kayla. Similarly, exercise reaps greater benefits other than keeping you in shape; a good workout releases endorphins (and Legally Blonde taught us that endorphins make you happy) and helps eliminate stress. Besides, it’s a good excuse to scope out the eye-candy at the gym! Finally, making health-conscious choices will help ward of illness that can put you seriously behind in your classes—and that makes finals week and paper writing a lot less painful.

Meet Molly

Studying: Accounting

Largest College Lesson: Know Your Limits

“You have to say ‘No’ sometimes—college isn’t necessarily all fun. School has to come first.”

Have a huge test coming up? Maybe call it with the friends for a night. Your fear of missing out might be overwhelming, but the grades and the declined stress are worth it. Time management is huge and there are always going to be a lot of fun distractions on a college campus. The unfortunate truth is that sometimes you have to sacrifice social endeavors for school.  The great news? The good times will continue to roll and you’ll have awesome grades in spite of those nights you had to spend hitting the books instead of the dance floor.

Meet Olivia

Studying: Ballet

Largest College Lesson: Not Everything Needs To Be a Group Effort

“You don’t always need to be with your friends. I’ve learned I really enjoy my independence and doing things on my own.”

With friends around all the time, the value of doing your own thing can fly easily under the radar. However, going to the library or the café solo can provide the much needed alone time you may have been unaware you needed. Plus, you will likely be far more productive. Apart from studying, engaging in other activities independently (even events as minimal as lunchtime) provides you with the space you need from the chaotic social atmosphere than can be both exciting and overpowering.

Meet Shannon

Studying: Ballet & Business

Largest College Lesson: Explore Different Social Circles

“It’s always convenient to stick with the same crowd, but there are so many people to meet—it’s so fun to get out there and make a bunch of friends.”

We all have our go-to crews once Friday night rolls around. No doubt, you are going to have your closer friends. However, college is a time to be limitless—hang out with that random girl from your stats class! You never know who you may meet… plus, some of your best nights could be a result of reaching out and hanging with people you didn’t expect to have such a great time with. Keep your close friends, but poke around in other social circles too. Nothin’ wrong with a little girl-flirting. Or boy-flirting for that matter…

Meet Haley

Studying: Speech and Hearing Science

Largest College Lesson: Get Involved!

“I always thought I was way too busy to volunteer or be involved in activities outside of academics, but now I do all the time and I absolutely love it!”

While it can feel like the schoolwork keeps piling up, be sure to schedule out a little time to do something outside of your classes! Volunteer work not only looks great on a resume, but is also personally rewarding. The University of Utah has many resources to find volunteer opportunities, such as positions through the Lowell Bennion Community Service Center. The U even offers classes based on Community Engaged Learning (CEL), where you can receive credit hours for the time you spend volunteering. Double win!

Photo Source: http://mightyutahstudentsection.blogspot.com/2012/10/win-two-front-row-seats-for-blackout.html

Work Hard & Be Nice to People. MN -- NYC -- SLC
Kayla Van Hoose