Coats For Every Body Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’m gonna make this short and sweet because I know none of us are in the mood to read anymore than we have to, so here we go: the shortest guide in existence to finding a coat for your body type. Just because you’re a size 2 doesn’t mean you can’t indulge yourself in the latest It coat! Below you’ll find some tips for every body type.  Enjoy, and remember this isn’t about hiding the things you hate about your body but about focusing on showing off the parts you love best.

Busty girls (like me): Trench coats with military details help streamline your figure and bring positive attention to those incredible ta-tas. Stay away from very short coats that shorten your torso and belts.

Plus-size: Short coats look amazing on your figure and a simple vertical detail such as a ruffle help to slim you. Plus-size girls are also lucky in that their figure is usually able to pull off trendy cuts and large collars. Fitted looks are also great, so no “go big or go home” mentality, ladies.

Hourglass: Belted and soft-fitting shapes work really well with your curves as do classic, feminine pieces.

Pear shaped: Double-breasted coats work really well for you because they emphasize your sculpted top, as does a cinched waist. Make sure the bottom half gives you some room for those lovely curves of yours!

Tall: Look for longer lengths and sleek embellishments. Belted waists tend to bring attention to you if you’re long and lean and you’re one of the lucky few who can pull of this season’s puffer coats! Congratulations, but proceed with caution and remember not to go Eskimo-ish. You know who wants to ask out the Michelin Wo-Man? That’s right. No one.

Petite/boyish: With your small frames, you girls can get away with a lot of details. They work double since they also add curves. You have my official permission to go crazy with ruffles, cool textures and bright colors, whatever your heart desires!