The Clowns Are Ruining My Halloween Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

By now you have either had your own clown scare or watched enough videos of them, to convince yourself that you have. The clown trend has traveled across the United States, causing lockdowns, injuries, and just plain fear.

The clown scare began in South Carolina with reported sightings of clowns in the woods. Since the initial sightings, there have been hundreds of copycat clowns that pose some serious consequences. With vigilante clown hunters on the loose, there is a risk for more conflict and injury. Although it is not illegal to dress as a clown, many police departments have stated that dressing up as a clown just to freak people out is prohibited. I would stay away from that section of the Halloween store just to be safe.

Although there have only been 100 reported clown sightings the media has amped this up to be one of the most reported events, outside of the equally scary presidential race. This mass media coverage has, of course, brought the clowns to the forefront of our minds and if we are being honest it’s ruining some of our Halloween excitement.

Here are a few of the things that used to be fun before the clowns descended.

Going to haunted places: Now you won’t be seeing me going to the abandoned building for some spooky Halloween fun. Instead, I will be staying home and watching a scary movie about other people going to an abandoned home.

Toddler birthday parties: You bet when I get invited to my niece and nephew’s birthday parties that I will be checking if clowns are coming before RSVPing. The Clown Lives Matter movement is one that I want to support, but am hesitant. We understand this is your job but at the end of the day, it’s just not the best time to be a clown.

Dressing up as a clown: This is no longer an option and really I feel bad for all the people who had picked out this costume ahead of time.

Halloween in general: Halloween has always been one of our favorite holidays, but now it is a night that could turn to violence. Beyond the fear of actual clowns, the fear of clown fighters is larger. It’s time to take it on yourself to spread the knowledge that clown scares are very small and that it is not your job as a college student to take on the clown fight.

Let’s all take a pledge to not participate in the clown scare in any way. Avoid the urge to prank others and dress as a clown, and most importantly, if you see a clown take a step back and let the authorities handle the problem.

I am a current journalism student at the University of Utah. I have spent my years in college studying, traveling, and writing. I am a campus writer for the University of Utah and have my own blog Beautiful Detour. If I am not on campus I am hopefully off in another country meeting new people...or lying in my bed under a million blankets watching that day's netflix binge.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor