Campus Celebrity: Utah Quidditch Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This week, Her Campus had the opportunity to interview Daniel Howland, Co-captain of the University of Utah’s Quidditch team. We discussed the rules of quidditch when played by muggles, what the team is like, and how amazing the quidditch community is. Whether a Harry Potter fan or not, quidditch is a sport that can be enjoyed by all. 

HC: How did the team get started? 

DH: The quidditch team here at the University of Utah was started six years ago by Sequoia Thomas. It was originally just 4-5 people in the playing in the park, but has grown to have 45 members, and two separate teams: The Crimson Elite, and The Crimson Flyers. 

HC: How did you first get involved with quidditch?

DH: I came to Utah from out of state, and I was looking for student groups to make new friends, and came across quidditch on the ASUU website. I came to Utah for skiing originally, and quidditch has taken over my college experience completely. I went to my first practice almost four years ago, and have loved it ever since. 

HC: Are there other quidditch teams at other schools?

DH: Yeah, there are over 300 teams across the country. 

HC: So quidditch is like a big thing?

DH: Yeah! Most people don’t realize how big this is. Quidditch is a full contact, hard hitting sport. It is also a very gender inclusive sport. There cannot be more than 4 players of the same gender on the field at one time, making quidditch the only full contact, co-ed sport of it’s kind where everyone can hit everyone. 

HC: How does quidditch work since you guys can’t actually fly on brooms?

DH: Brooms are represented by PCV pipes. They can be cool and personalized with team names and everything. You must hold on to your broom the entire time. 

HC: And how do you play without a snitch?

DH: The snitch is represented by a person wearing yellow. They have a tennis ball velcro-ed to them, and getting the tennis ball is how you catch the snitch. 

HC: How can other students get involved?

DH: All practices are open, anyone can come to practice before they commit to joining the team just to feel it out. Practices are held 3-4 times a week in Reservoir Park, with tournaments about every two weeks. It is definitely worth the commitment. 

HC: How well have you guys been doing in tournaments?

DH: We’ve been doing really well! Utah is ranked 18th in the country currently, which is the highest it’s ever been. We go to tournaments all over the country. This year we have gone to  Boise, Flagstaff (for the Lumberjack Invitational, where we took second), we will be going to UCLA  for regionals (held on the first weekend in February), and after that, Texas. We have a rivalry with boise state, and have played them three times.

HC: Does Utah ever host tournaments?

DH: Yes! There will be a tournament here on January 2nd called the  Utah Snow Cup. Player from all over sign up, then then tournament managers draft  teams. It will be held in the Field House, and anyone is welcome to come watch!

HC: If you could tell the world one thing about quidditch, what would it be?

DH: Everyone should know about how great this community is. I have met so many amazing people on this team, as well as through competing all over the country. This a very strong community, made up of so many great people.

The University of Utah’s Quidditch team has seen so much success over the last few years, and they should be recognized for it. Learning about this wonderful community was definitely an eye-opening experience. The quidditch team is a great way to get involved on campus, and make lasting friendships.  

Get involved with Utah Quidditch: https://www.facebook.com/utahquidditch/?fref=ts

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor