Campus Celebrity: Kasy Galindo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When you’re a collegiette, one of the best experiences is to give back to the community. The Alpha Chi Omega sorority at the University of Utah has been raising awareness about domestic violence issues. Kasy Galindo, Vice President of Philanthropy for Alpha Chi Omega, has not only given back herself, but has also been able to create events that allow others to learn more and get involved.

Her Campus (HC): What is Alpha Chi Omega’s philanthropy?

Kasy Galindo (KG): Alpha Chi Omega’s national philanthropy is Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention.

HC: How does donating help?

KG: This past year we have focused on donating to the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition. The money that we are able to donate to them goes a long way. They use the money to work with local domestic violence programs and help providers of direct services all around the valley as well as having the necessary materials to educate the public.

HC: What main events did you hold during your philanthropy week?

KG: We held three events during our philanthropy week: our second annual Crepe Night, Alex and Ani Event, and our second annual Walk A Mile in Her Shoes.

HC: What is Walk A Mile in Her Shoes?

KG: – “For preventive education, it helps men better understand and appreciate women’s experiences, thus changing perspectives, helping improve gender relationships and decreasing the potential for violence. For healing, it informs the community that services are available for recovery. It demonstrates that men are willing and able to be courageous partners with women in making the world a safer place.”- Walk A Mile in Her Shoes website. The main goal is to get people talking while attracting the attention of spectators.

HC: Why is domestic violence such an issue?

KG: Domestic Violence can affect anyone! One in four women will experience domestic violence during their lifetime and I think that it is so interesting; because when you look around a room you never know who may be a survivor or a person who is currently in a violent relationship. As a woman organization we work to help build healthy relationships where women are educated about the warning signs and can find a way out of these relationships if need be.

HC: What can people do to get involved?

KG: When it comes to getting involved there are many things people can do, from volunteering at the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition or the YWCA, to giving a friend a number for a help line so that they can get out of a violent relationship. I think that the most important step to getting involved is to be educated on the topic and knowing how to help people whom need it.

HC: Why do you love philanthropy?

KG: I have always enjoyed volunteering; it was not until I went through formal recruitment that I started hearing the word Philanthropy thrown around. Philanthropy attempts to solve problems, it’s not just about raising the most funds or volunteering the most hours. That is what I love about it, as Vice President of Philanthropy my goals have been to work more on awareness. I think that Walk A Mile in Her Shoes is a prime example of that; we are not solving the issue but we are working on educating our members and community. I believe that if we work to improve this event it could potentially raise a lot more awareness, which is a way we are attempting to help solve the issue of Domestic Violence.

HC: What is the most rewarding part of being involved in philanthropy?

KG: I believe that the most rewarding part about being involved with philanthropy is the events that you get to put together. You spend so much time thinking about how an event will go wrong or how you can improve it. Then you have to think how to best delegate and work as a team to hear each other’s ideas. Then it all comes together and you get to see all your hard work paid off. You get to see the crowd of people lining up to buy a ticket to your event and it gives you the chills. It’s amazing to see the people whom are lining up because they are attending your event since they believe that what you’re advocating for is an important cause.

Lexy was born and raised in Salt Lake City and is currently studying Nursing at the Univeristy of Utah. She hopes to someday pursue her dream as a Neonatal Nurse Practioner. She works as a Certified Pharamcy Technician and volunteers with the Apa Sherpa Foundation.  In her free time she does yoga, dances, plays with her puppy, and hangs out with her Alpha Phi sisters. She is also very proud to hold the title of a Miss Utah USA semifinalist.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor