This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Jerris is a gorgeous colliegette here at the University of Utah who pours her heart and soul into everything she does.  To some it may seem like she’s overbooked with all that she’s involved in, including service, sorority involvement, work and school. But despite all that she always seems to have a smile on her face. 

Age: 19

Hometown: Irvine, CA

Major: Exercise and sports science

HC: Tell us about this ONE project you’re apart of?

JG: So it’s actually an organization Bono started, it’s not a non-profit because it asks the Government to donate and it’s basically an extreme fight against poverty. Recently, the United Nations got together and decided 17 goals for all the nations together and the one I was really avid about supporting was clean water.  It’s cool because anyone can identify with the 17 goals and I really connected with water. 

HC: What have you done since you’ve been apart of ONE on our campus?

JG: I’m the kind of like recruitment chair so I table mostly and talk to people a lot. Each semester there’s a few challenges that we set apart so we have to get a lot of people to take a picture and tweet at the government or tweet at certain senators to get this passed and to get this organization funded.

HC: What else are you involved in that enables you serve your community?

JG: I’m part of Delta Gamma and I help a lot and go I volunteer for friends for sight, which is our main philanthropy, and we go and do vision screenings. This month I’m trying to do four vision screenings and that will account to 16 service hours this month.

HC: Why do you think it’s important to make time for service?

JG: I think not only does it strengthen the community but also it strengthens me as a person because then I’m humbled and doing service genuinely helps my psyche.  It helps me step aside from myself and I can actually meet people and be hands on with them and help people who may be less fortunate than myself. 

Jerris also hopes to run for Delta Gamma’s new member educator position this coming year because she thinks she would enjoy helping the new members get acquainted with Greek life, something that has played a major part in her college experience.

When asked why she does all this along with all of her other non-service responsibilities she responds with, “ I just try to make people’s days better.” 

Communications major at the University of UtahDiet Coke and sea monster enthusiastTrying to change the world one sarcastic article at a time
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor