Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Challenge: Thanksgiving Leftover Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thanksgiving food is the absolute best….. the day after. Sure a fresh plate of the essentials on Thanksgiving night might be your cup of tea, but do not tell me the turkey sandwich the day after isn’t the most rewarding first bite. Here are some tips on how to gobble down your Thanksgiving leftovers in style.

Breakfast:

All of the PIE

Every Thanksgiving there somehow ends up being 12 pies at the table, and only 2 people have enough room to have some. Don’t throw away those golden tins of happiness, EAT THEM FOR BREAKFAST! Now I know what you’re thinking, “Isn’t pie for breakfast a terrible thing to have??” NO! It’s primarily fruit of some kind and therefore good for you, so eat all of them!

Ingredients:

• Pie of Choice (i.e. pumpkin, pecan, chocolate mousse, key lime, apple, cherry, or peach)
  • Fork
  • Whipped Cream

Steps

1. Place fork in whipped cream covered pie and place in mouth
  2. Cry tears of happiness and enjoy every last bite

Lunch:

The Moistmaker 

When you first watched the episode of Friends where Ross makes the infamous Moistmaker, you were probably disgusted. Now in your mature stages of life you understand how delicious and efficient this creation actually is. Get rid of your leftovers and enjoy them all in one meal!  

Recipe adapted from Ross Geller

Ingredients:

• 2 pieces of dry toasted bread
  • 1 piece of gravy soaked bread aka “The Moistmaker”
  • Light turkey meat
  • Dark turkey meat
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Stuffing

Steps:

1. Layers: dry bread, cranberry, light meat, “moistmaker,” stuffing, dark meat, dry bread.

Dinner:

Mini Turkey Pot Pies

There is no better way to eat turkey than in a flaky, delicious, and most importantly mini sized pot pie. These pot pies will defrost your cold heart and make you forget the amount of food you ate on Thanksgiving. Remember, it is always best to combat too many carbs with even more carbs. Eat up turkeys!

Recipe adapted from Little Sweet Baker

Ingredients:

• 3 pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
  • 1 can (284ml) cream of chicken condensed soup
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups cooked turkey
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (thawed)

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray the wells and rims of a jumbo 6-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Cut six 4″ and six 6″ circles out of your pie crusts. Fit the larger circles into the muffin cups.
  3. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and divide the filling amongst the 6 cups.
  4. Place the 4″ pie crust on top and press to seal the edges together. Cut a few slits for ventilation.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.

Don’t let your magnificent feast go to waste this November! Eat all of the leftovers!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor