Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Challenge: Pumpkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Orange you pumped for Halloween?! This breakfast lunch and dinner challenge will put you in the mood for the pumpkin spice season. This week’s ingredient is pumpkin. Pumpkins have more fiber than kale, more potassium than bananas, and are full of heart-healthy magnesium and iron. Here are three recipes to have you saying, “Oh my Gourd!”

Breakfast:

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Protein Shake

Pumpkin Spice Lattes are delicious, but this pumpkin protein shake is perfect for getting you full and energized in the morning.

Recipe adapted from Blender Bottle

Ingredients:

• 1 cup skim milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 serving vanilla protein powder
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter

Directions:

1. Blender Bottle: Add all ingredients and shake until smooth.
  2. Blender: Add all ingredients and blend until smooth.

Lunch:

Roasted Pumpkin and Spinach Salad

This delicious pumpkin salad will fill you up and keep you focused for the rest of your busy day.  

Recipe adapted from Taste.  

Ingredients:

• 1 butternut pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, cut into wedges
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon honey, extra
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
  • 1 bag of baby spinach leaves
  • Salt, to season

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the pumpkin in alarge bowl. Drizzle with oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Gently toss until the pumpkin is well coated. Place in a single layer on the lined tray. Bake, turning once during cooking, for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with the sesame seeds. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the seeds are lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Extra pumpkin can be stored for several meals.

Step 2: Combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, mustard and extra honey in a screw-top jar andshake until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

Step 3: Place the pumpkin and spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gentlytoss until just combined. Serve immediately.

Dinner:

Savory Pumpkin Soup

Get cozy and warm with this spicy, but yummy pumpkin soup.

Recipe adapted from Ex Sloth.  

Ingredients:

• 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 shallot, diced (about 1 tbsp)
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1½ cups pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • ⅔ cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Add olive oil, shallots and garlic to a medium sized saucepan over medium heat
  2. Sautee the veggies for 2 – 3 minutes or until softened
  3. Stir in remaining ingredients and allow to simmer
  4. Optional: Blend soup using an immersion blender or regular blender to get rid of any chunks of garlic and shallots then pour mixture back into pot
  5. Thin out the soup with more stock or milk if desired. I like my soup on the thicker side so this may be necessary
  6. Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary (I added a little more cumin)
  7. Serve with pepitas, a drizzle of milk or vegan yogurt and/or vegan grilled cheese sandwiches

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor