Avoiding the “Festive 15″: The Her Campus Utah Guide to Staying Slim During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Exam week is finally over, textbooks are burning brightly in trashcans all across campus, and your mind has just sailed away on a blissful three-week-long vacation. But despite the gleeful drive home for the holidays, there’s no doubt many of us will encounter some speed bumps when it comes to physical health. We’re all in need of some serious R&R, and going for a run around the block is about as welcome as doing laps in your neighbor’s near-frozen swimming pool. But fear not: Her Campus Utah is here to help! Staving off that holiday padding- what I like to call the Festive 15- is ridiculously easy as long as you follow a few simple steps.

On the days leading up to the holidays, it’s important to uphold a strict routine. Be sure to keep up with healthy habits such as your daily run/yoga class or continuing your no-soda pact. Having a lack of discipline in the early days of December only increases your chances of completely losing control come Christmastime.

On the actual day, one of the most important goals you can strive for is to boost your metabolism. Metabolism is what allows you to burn the calories you’re consuming, and a latent metabolism can result in extra poundage and a not-so-merry Christmas. To keep it up and going, be sure to have breakfast the morning of and continue to snack throughout the day. I’ll be the first to admit that on days such as these it used to make complete sense for me to starve myself all day and go absolutely crazy at dinner. I’ve come to learn that this method did nothing more than stretch my waistline and shock relatives with my seemingly insatiable appetite. Drinking water is also an important tool because we tend to eat more processed foods during the holidays. Drinking more water means your body holds less water, which, in turn, leaves you a happy camper!

During dinner, keep in mind the amount of simple carbohydrates you’re ingesting, the main cause of increased weight. Shoot for just one type of simple carbs while you’re eating, so if you’re craving mashed potatoes AND stuffing? Take half a portion of each or rock-paper-scissors it.

Believe it or not, seating can play a large part in your dining choices. Sitting next to healthy sources of protein such as meat is definitely better than towards the end of the table near empty carbs and salty snacks. Being smart about seating can also pay off if you pay attention not to what you’re sitting in front of but rather whom you’re sitting next to. You’re a lot more likely to stuff your mouth if you’re sitting next to that prying aunt who always asks about your non-existent love life, so consider yourself warned.

Lastly, regard boredom as public enemy number one. Boredom is NOT the same thing as relaxation, and you’d do well to keep this in mind when you’re watching your sixth hour of Christmas specials on TV and simultaneously inhaling Mom’s leftovers.  Go sledding, amble around downtown or admire the lights around your neighborhood. Find your own way to be active, and remember to truly enjoy your break. Before you know it, New Year’s will be creeping up and the time will come for some new resolutions. With our help, the age old “let’s get healthy” won’t be one of them. 

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!