Auto Girl: Thank the man for his assistance and move on

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Every time I go to Jiffy Lube or get lost in the aisles at Auto Zone, a gentleman comes to offer me assistance. If I need parts or something fixed, he’ll usually show me which one to pick and tell me I can have my dad or someone easily attach the new part. This has happened with headlights, windshield wipers, spark plugs, license plate lights, a corroded battery and plenty of other things (my car is kind of needy). However, all of the afore mentioned tasks can easily be completed by someone who does not have extensive knowledge about cars, such as myself and many other women.

I’m sick of having the gentlemen in these businesses see me as helpless. I mean, I’m not completely clueless! I took auto shop in high school, even though I was the only girl in the class. I did the work just like everyone else. Even so, I still come off as not knowing what I’m doing, which really isn’t too far from the truth, but anyone can learn a simple car repair from the Internet or YouTube! So, am I the naïve one or are the auto technicians and specialists the ones who are just not getting it?

In reality, it’s both. They are underestimating women and in some cases we are over estimating ourselves. For the time being, we can attempt to change that. If you know your car has a problem, research it online a bit before you go into an auto parts store. If the gentlemen there offer to help you fix it or tell you to have a man in your life take a look, thank them for the offer and say you’ll take care of it yourself.

Even if you do end up asking a male for advice or assistance, don’t let him do everything! Have him guide you in the process while you make the repairs. If it happens again, you’ll know how to fix it by yourself next time. Men definitely outnumber women in the field of auto mechanics, but that doesn’t mean you can’t easily learn a thing or two. Plus, you never know when something might go wrong and you’ll be left to your own devices to solve a car problem.

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!
Lexi Jones is a senior with a double major in journalism and anthropology at the University of Utah. Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she loves exploring the outdoors, rock climbing, music, and writing. She is currently a museum aid for the Bureau of Land Management. She has interned with LDS Living magazine as a writer, the Utah Museum of Natural History in the anthropology lab, and the National Society of Leadership and Success as a founding chapter president. Her inspirations are Mark Twain and Paulo Coelho. Lexi aspires to be a freelancer for National Geographic. Always pursuing multiple passions, she is currently applying to graduate school for a Masters in archaeology and a Juris doctorate, and yes, she does plan to enroll in both at the same time.