Amber Barron: Engineering Biodegradable Feminine Hygiene Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

At 20 years old, Amber Barron is making strides in STEM research (which means Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). She has worked in multiple laboratories at the University of Utah, and has recently presented in the Undergraduate Research Symposium on her work with feminine hygiene products. As a Material Science and Engineering major, she was looking for a cheap, accessible, and environmentally friendly material that could mitigate the stress that women in third world countries face due to their monthly cycle.

Amber’s support for women only begins with this research. As only a sophomore, she has already become the Vice President of Outreach for the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), where she encourages future collegiates to experience the life of an engineer. She has also used her “Miss Riverton” (her hometown) position to encourage young women to become involved in STEM, and present this field’s opportunities to them.

This humble and incredible woman is currently working toward her engineering degree and shattering the prejudices and stereotypes of this field, with a dream job integrating this degree into a job emphasizing sustainability. In addition to all this, she is a pun aficionado who puts a smile on anyone’s face. 

Name: Amber Barron

Major: Materials Science and Engineering

Hometown: Riverton, UT

Her Campus: When did you first become interested in the STEM field?

Amber Barron: I participated in Girl Scouts of Utah’s Catalina Island Marine Institute trip when I was in middle school where we took marine biology classes, snorkeled, kayaked, and caught leopard sharks.  It is definitely “reef-reshing” to spend time in the ocean.  I can “sea” myself working with reef reclamation and marine biology focused engineering.

HC: Have you felt adversity as a woman educating in STEM? If so, when, and how did you overcome it?

AB: The adversity I have faced has come mainly from myself.  In high school my math teacher told me I needed to have more math confidence, and that I needed to really believe in my abilities and not hold myself back.  Unfortunately, I still feel like that and I am sure there are many students who feel this way.  I believe this “STEMs” from the fact that every student compares their abilities and scores to the people around them, especially the people who they think are “smart.”  Although I rarely grasp concepts during my first exposure, I know there are a lot of my fellow students who feel this way.  Often we hear from the vocal people who are understanding it or who have had previous exposure to the material. 

HC: Can you explain your research and why it is important?

AB: In developing countries, menstruating young women are absent 10 to 20 percent of school days due to their monthly biological cycles. In order to empower women and mitigate stresses on the natural environment, organic cotton, banana silk fibers, hemp fiber, and white rice were investigated for use in biodegradable feminine hygiene products. Boiled organic cotton absorbed the largest amount of water, which was comparable to the absorbency of an Always Maxi Pad.

Not only are these women and young girls missing school and work days, but they will just sit at home in cardboard boxes and through those cardboard boxes away throughout their menstrual cycle.  In some areas of Guatemala (which is the region we are currently focused on), there is not an efficient waste management system, so the pads (expensive to import from the US) are often just thrown off a cliff with other items.

HC: What advice do you have for those looking to get involved in research? 

AB: Research is the best way to decide on a major and help you solidify your interest in any field!  Approach professors who interest you and make sure the research you would be doing is more than just washing dishes.

HC: What’s your dream job? 

AB: I really want to make a sustainable difference in the world, especially by cutting emissions in transportation, developing alternative energy methods, and marine focused engineering.  I have a HUGE variety of interests, but after I retire from working in engineering, I would LOVE to work for Girl Scouts of the USA on their STEM Initiatives.  

I'm always in the mood for tacos or pizza, just saying. If there's dogs involved, I'm in! I am currently studying Biochemistry at the University of Utah, and hoping to go attend veterinary school after graduation!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor