All I Want for Christmas Is to Celebrate When I Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. And this time only comes around once. We get one season a year to sing along to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” at the top of our lungs, one season to drink so much hot chocolate it basically runs through your veins, and one season to quote Elf so many times your friends might want to stop hanging out with you. So wouldn’t you want to make that time last as long as humanly possible?

I, as a Christmas fanatic, would say yes. Yes, I would like that time to last as long as possible. That’s why I want to start being able to celebrate the season of joy, and eating endless amounts of fudge, as soon as the last tricker treater rings the last doorbell at 11:59pm on October 31st. That’s right, I want to be able to jam along to “Jingle Bell Rock” just like Cady Heron and Regina George did starting on November 1st. Some people think this is just crazy. Like me suggesting that we start celebrating Christmas just a bit earlier is like saying I want to get rid of Twinkies (and we all remember how America handled that don’t we?). No I’m not skipping over Thanksgiving. I love mashed potatoes and gravy just as much as the next person. But where are the fabulous playlists devoted to turkey and stuffing? Where are the iconic movies that bring joy to your heart like when we all watched the Grinch learn to love the people of Whoville? Where are all of these things?

Christmas isn’t just a day. It’s a season. It also happens to be known as the season of giving. You wouldn’t want to be the person who is against shortening the season of giving would you? If we want to put up our Christmas trees a little earlier just let us. No need to go all Grinch mode until December 1st. Where’s the fun in that? Stop hating and start participating. Drink some eggnog and settle down a bit. Life is a lot better snuggled up in front of a fire, hot cocoa in hand, laughing at Home Alone, and wondering what the McCallister parents did career wise to be able to afford to take their entire family to France for the holidays.

So everyone take a deep breath and crack open your dusty boxes of Christmas decorations. Decorate some sugar cookies with Michael Buble playing in the background. All-in-all, stop being a Scrooge and let the world enjoy the holidays.

Sources: 1,2,3,4

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor