This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Have you ever been planning your next vacation and realized you are tired of staying in boring, expensive hotels? If you have, Airbnb might be just what you need! Airbnb is a website where people can rent their homes or a room in their home for travelers to stay. You enter the location of where you want to go and… POOF hundreds of places to stay hosted by locals. Finding the perfect Airbnb can be tricky. Here are some tips to help make sure your trip is safe, comfortable and most importantly, dope as hell. 

1. Make an account.

Just do it. Trust me. https://www.airbnb.com

2. Pick your price point at stick to it. 

We are all poor college students here soooooo, just because the first listing you come across is gross doesn’t mean the rest will be. It takes some time to sift through the good, the bad, and the ugly. You are bound to find some cute ones out there! Don’t get distracted by the super fancy penthouses and mansions you can rent. Once you find an affordable listing you like, add it to your wish list and keep browsing until you have a few good ones to choose from.

3. Location, location, location. 

It is SO important to make sure you choose a listing close to the city center of where you are staying. Travelling around a new place you are bound to want to do some touristy things. If you accidentally choose a listing miles out of town then you are going to spend an annoying amount of time commuting back and forth. Keep this in mind when scrolling through listings. The place may be perfect, but if it’s far away just say, “NOT TODAY” and keep looking.

4. READ REVIEWS!!!

This is BY FAR the most important thing you can do for a successful Airbnb experience. If a listing has a lot of reviews, it means lots of people have stayed there which is a very, very good sign. Read some reviews and get an idea of what previous travelers thought of the place. If 99.9% of the reviews are positive but there’s one grouch who left a nasty review… Ignore it. Nobody cares about him anyway. The amount of positive reviews a listing has is crucial to the success of your stay. Moral of the story is, if a hosts listing has less than 10 reviews move on and don’t waste your time. It is safest to go with a place that other people have trusted and enjoyed in the past. And remember, when you return from your trip make sure to leave an accurate review for your host so they know what to improve on and what they did well, and so future guests know about your experience.

5. Find a Superhost (if you can)

Superhosts are the Superheros of Airbnb!! They come to rescue you right when you are about to give up and find a hotel. Superhosts are hosts who go above and beyond to make their guests feel at home in a foreign place. Whether it’s making you an authentic dinner from the country where you are staying, telling you about festivals happening nearby or meeting you at the airport, Superhosts are the kind of people you definitely want to stay with. Here’s what makes a Superhost:

6. Request a listing.

This is it! You’ve found the perfect place! Send the host a lovely message about why you picked their home and the waiting game begins. Once you request a listing the host has 24 hours to accept. So sit back and grab a book, start a puzzle, or go on pinterest to find things to do where you hope to be vacationing soon. Fingers crossed…

7. Keep a good relationship with your host.

Make sure after your host has accepted your request that you keep a friendly conversation going. Figure out what time you are going to arrive and make a plan with them. It is good to get these things done in advanced so you don’t have to worry about it the day you arrive. Ask the host for advince on what to do in their city. Trust me, they will have lots to tell you. They are proud of where they are from and want you to have the best stay possible.

8. Pack your bags and goooooo!

You have done all of the planning and you are ready for your much needed vacation to start. Pack smart. Don’t overpack, but make sure to take enough clothes to survive your trip. You’re ready. Now get on that plane and don’t look back. See you in a few weeks!

If you are looking for the most realistic way to travel, Airbnb is it. It is a totally different feeling to be traveling in a new place and to be able to go back to a home at the end of a long day. This alternative to the stuffy hotel is the easiest way to immerse yourself in the culture and see what it’s like to live in a new place. Go shopping at the grocery store down the street, find your favorite little coffee shop and make friends with people in the community! Airbnb will be your new best friend wherever your travels take you. So login, pick a place, and start your adventure. Bon Voyage!

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor