8 Podcasts for Your Spring Break Travels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Spring break is almost here! And with spring break comes a lot of traveling, so whether you are just driving 20 miles, or you are flying 2000, you are going to need some entertainment. When you just need a break from listening to your favorite playlist for the 300th time, give these podcasts a try. They are all entertaining, and they are sure to make your travel time fly by.

The Moth

The Moth is a podcast dedicated to the art and craft of storytelling. It presents thousands of true stories from storytellers everywhere. Every week, The Moth features the best stories told live on Moth stages around the world.  Each episode is full of human emotion, experience, and inspiration. It truly is a beautiful podcast, and it deserves to be shared. I highly recommend it, and I promise it will bring light to your spring break travels.

You Must Remember This

You Must Remember This is a podcast that explores the secrets and forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century. It is a very well researched podcast that navigates conflicting reports, mythology, and institutionalized spin of old Hollywood. Each week its writers try to sort out what really happened behind the camera of the 20th centuries biggest films. It is guaranteed to keep you entertained and curious during your travels this week.

Radiolab

Radiolab is a podcast that strives to inspire curiosity in its readers. It is an investigation explained through a patchwork of people, sounds, stories, society, and experiences. Each week, Radiolab makes information sound like music, and it creates an atmosphere where science and culture can collide. This podcast is perfect for people who long to understand the wonders of the world, and it is perfect for a long car/plane ride.

The Cracked Podcast

The Cracked Podcast is full of laughs, jokes, and facts. It is a very lighthearted podcast that celebrates the truth that being alive is truly incredible and is often taken for granted. This podcast is very funny and engaging, and I highly recommend it.  Every week, this podcast brings together comedians, authors, and scientists that discuss very interesting and hilarious revelations that are sure to make your conversations during the break much more interesting.

Serial

Serial is a thrilling podcast that unfolds the story of a serial killer. Every week, the show follows the characters through several surprising twists and turns, and it is sure to keep you on your toes. The writers of this podcast let it drive them in any direction, and they write as if they don’t know what will happen at the end of the story. It is very important to start this podcast from episode one, and I promise that you will fall in love with it after the first few episodes. This podcast will make you wish you had to drive a little farther so you could keep listening and discover what is going to happen next.

Freakonomics Radio

Freakonomics Radio is a popular podcast (based on the book Freakonomics) that allows its readers to discover the hidden side of everything. Each week, this podcast explores the riddles of everyday life and the weird quirks of human nature. It addresses everything from parenting and school teachers to guns and swimming pools. This podcast is sure to keep you entertained, and after just a few episodes, you will be hooked for life.

The Read

The Read is a weekly podcast that discusses hip-hop and pop culture’s most trying stars. Hosts, Kid Fury and Crissle constantly throw shade and make jokes with their humorous and sassy attitudes. This podcast is very funny and mocks just about every celebrity (except for Beyonce). It also addresses the troubles of two friends trying to adjust to life in the big city. It is a hilarious podcast that is perfect for college students, and it is sure to make your spring break travels amusing and fun.

And That’s Why We Drink

And That’s Why We Drink is a podcast where murder and the paranormal finally meet. Every week, it tells chilling ghost stories and absolutely terrifying (and true) crime stories. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, and make you wish your flight served alcohol so you could just sit back and relax. It is a thrilling podcast, and it will leave you wanting more.  The writers of this show know that the world can really be a scary place, and that’s why we drink.

No matter which of these podcasts you choose to listen to, you are sure to be entertained. They are all very witty, touching, and exciting. I highly recommend all of these podcasts, and whether you listen to them or not, I truly hope you all have an incredible spring break!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor