This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

School has started and whether you are a starry-eyed freshman who is just glad to be out of the house or a senioritis victim who is about to finish their degree, we all are here to learn and succeed. With the first couple weeks heading our way, starting can be difficult and/or uncomfortable at first, but don’t let that affect your grades or participation. Remember the wise words of Simon Sinek, “The hardest part is starting. Once you get that out of the way, you’ll find the rest of the journey much easier.” So do the future you a favor, and take a look at these tips to help get your semester up and going. 

1. Plan, plan, plan.

At the start of the semester, take all your syllabi and plan out your life for the next 16 weeks. A great way to do this is with a planner, and you’ll be obsessed with these planners by Erin Condren. It has separate sections to keep a to-do list (keep track of homework dates), a month calendar (see what is happening at a glance), and regular note paper just in case you need it. Find what system works best for you and keep up to date with it. Make sure you note all important due dates, events, and deadlines, that way nothing will get past you and you won’t have to play the game, “wait, am I forgetting something?” Because let’s be honest, nobody ever wins that game. 

2. Make friends is EVERY class.

Whether we expect to make it to every class session or not, it is a great idea to get to know your fellow students. Swap contact information and just be a nice human being. It may not seem very important now, especially if you are the introverted type, but when you are dying with a cold and you need notes on a lecture you missed, it’s good to know you have a friend you are willing to clue you in to what happened. Plus you gain a seat mate, so you never have to worry about where to sit. 

3. Don’t forget about the textbooks!

Every year this is the one thing that most college students put to the way side. Textbooks can cost a pretty stack of cash, but if planned ahead, the cost can be cut down. Try using rental sites, such as Chegg or Abe Books, they can cut the cost by almost 75%. Also, Amazon is nice if you like reading texts digitally, you can buy or rent eBooks. Feel free to ask the professor if using an older edition would work, which would save you money as well. Now if you are the type of student who doesn’t believe they need a book to pass, that’s totally fine. However, do check out class reviews to see what other students have said. Sometimes, you need a book to pass, but if you don’t, you’ll find out from people who have taken the class before. 

4. Start keeping your workspace clean.

There is nothing worse than knowing that you finished a big project/assignment and not knowing where you put it. Start getting into the habit of keeping your homework space clear and organized, that way when you get to midterms or the end of semester assignment minefield, you know exactly how to keep things from getting lost. 

5. Know your Professors. 

Professors are just people. People who will decide your fate in a class you need to do well in because you want to graduate on time… but, still people. One of the most important things for a successful student to know is what your professors are looking for in their class. Some professors enjoy the outspoken, yet intelligent comments, while others just want people who do well on essays. Find out who your professor is through other students who have taken the class, sites like RateMyProfessors.com, and campus class reviews. And if you have questions or need help with a concept, don’t be afraid to take advantage of office hours or the contact information you are given in the syllabus. More often than naught, professors just want to see us grow and do well. 

6. Set aside time for yourself.

School can get pretty crazy. And then if you are working too, well, that just adds more things to the agenda. But, one of the best things to remember when planning out your semester (see number 1), is to make sure you set a little time aside for yourself. Whether you enjoy shopping or killing zombies in video games, make sure you de-stress yourself throughout the semester. Students are more likely to be productive if they give themselves brief yet regular breaks. Academic learning is essential to the college life, but make sure there is “your type of fun” mixed in as well. 

Starting off the semester strong can make all the difference. Stay strong, you’ve SO got this!

I enjoy writing about varied topics, which is fueled from my love of talking to people.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, my goldfish Buttercup, reading, painting, anything competitive, Star Wars and gaming.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor