5 Ways the U Has Become More LGBTQ Friendly (and how it can improve!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Happy pride week! One of my favorite things to tell friends back home in California is that while I may have gone to college in good ol’ Utah, Salt Lake City is one of the most progressive places. Remember when Utah legalized marriage equality before its liberal neighbors? Our pride parades get pretty groovy as well. The U specifically was named one of the top 25 LGBT Friendly universities in 2012 by Campus Pride. We are progressively becoming more LGBTQ friendly but of course there are ways in which we can improve upon becoming a more open-minded campus. 

1. The LGBTQ Center was established in 2002, originally very small because it previously was a janitor’s closet. Since then it has been remodeled and is now my favorite place to print. (First 10 pages are free so yes please.) In honor of pride week, the center is hosting events such as drag shows and keynote speakers. See a list of all the fabulous events here: http://lgbt.utah.edu/events/pride.php

How colorful! How pretty! (insert heart eyes here)

2. Transgender Housing Policy! Yep, the U is accommodating and supportive of trans people and have a confidential housing process for these students. How the policy could improve? Currently students cannot live with genders of the opposite sex. The U is currently working on improving this policy. 

How homey, homie.

3. Dat Gender Studies major, ‘doh! The Gender Studies major, which also includes classes concerning the women’s rights movement, is a huge asset for students. Many friends of mine within the LGBTQ community have been able to find themselves and become more accepting and understanding of the community as a whole. The Gender Studies minor is only 7 classes.

A picture of the major would be boring so here is a picture of the streets of SLC painted with pride instead.

4. The Student Services Building, Library and Union have unisex bathrooms. Public bathrooms are already pretty uncomfortable, let’s be real. Walking in and feeling out of place just adds to that.

Do your business in peace!

5. Friends! Friends! Friends! I wanted to give a personal blurb on how I’ve seen improvements. One of my closest friends came out freshman year, and a bit part of that was the fact that he knew the U would be welcoming. The community is a loving one and although I am a white, straight female I feel happy just by being around this community. They do so much to protect, uplift and strengthen all kinds of people. However, it is important to point out that while people are more accepting of sexual preference, the transgender movement does need more support. 

It’s about gender, love and compassion. 

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor