5 Valentine’s Day Dates For New Couples That Aren’t Awkward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

In between Christmas time and Springtime, Salt Lake City can be a hard place to find something to do.  The Temple lights aren’t an option anymore, Midway Ice Castles are sold out, and it isn’t warm enough to do many of the outdoor activities Utah prides itself on.  Don’t worry, we have five potential date ideas going from least expensive to most expensive for Valentine’s Day that are perfect for newly formed couples! Being in a new relationship can be fun, scary, and exciting but Valentine’s Day can be super uncomfortable. We’re here to save the day!

1. Natural History Museum + Men’s Basketball Game

The Natural History Museum located right on the University of Utah campus above Research Park is an amazing activity and opportunity that all students can experience for free.  While this is nothing new and it is likely that Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be your first time, starting on January 30 the museum has a new live exhibit of geckos!  This would be something fun, unique and oh, did I mention FREE, to do on that potentially awkward day. After getting your museum on, you could head down to the Men’s Basketball game held in the Huntsman center just down the block at 3 pm to cheer on the mighty Utes. 

2. Thrift Store Shopping and Bruges Waffles + Frites

Sugarhouse, Salt Lake City is an up and coming fun area that would be perfect for a day that you wanted to stay close to the U but go off campus.  There are multiple thrift stores all close by (Pibs Exchange, DI, and Uptown Cheapskate) where you could search for new clothes, be silly or just browse around.  After you shop till you drop or are just ready for some food, head over to Bruges Waffles and Frites where you can get some authentic Belgium treats for a fairly cheap price. 

3. Bonwood Bowling + Checking out a New Restaurant on State Street    

For those of you who need more of an activity for a date and need to be up and moving, Bonwood Bowling is a fun old timey bowling alley that boasts the cheapest prices in the valley.  There is also a diner take out style food station where you can get some comfort food to snack on while you play.  This is a fun activity where you can get to know someone and also show your silly personality, how competitive you are when bowling, or your genuine master skills.  If bowling alley food isn’t your thing (and I don’t blame you if it isn’t), check out a new restaurant on State Street.  

4. The Tracy Aviary  + Local Coffee Shop

While Tracy Aviary is more commonly known for a wonderful summer activity, they should not be forgotten about in the winter.  Some animals are more active in cold weather and these places are guaranteed to be less crowded.  Not to mention, discounted prices because of the weather!  The Aviary is fun because they give you the opportunity to get to know someone better while having a little bit of a distraction.  If the weather is getting too cold though and you are ready for a break, there are tons of local coffee shops and restaurants near by- my suggestions would be the Sugarhouse Coffee, Coffee Garden, or The Park Café. 

5. Tubing at Gorgoza Park + Dinner in Park City

The final and most extravagant date you could embark on for Valentine’s Day is heading up to Park City for sledding and dinner.  Tubing at Gorgoza park is a blast and takes the boring part (aka walking back up the hill) out of the picture.  Once you are done, there is hot cocoa and snacks in a yurt and even more activities you can try out.  You will pay a pretty penny for this date though, but I can guarantee that it is worth it, especially if you have never gone before.  After tubing, you could head up the canyon for some dinner in PC- February is a great time to go because all of the crowds from Sundance are gone and prices will go back down to what they normally are. 

Happy choosing and trying to make your Valentine’s Day a little less awkward and more fun! 

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor