5 Things I Wish I Knew as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As I’m nearing the end of my college career, I think back to the times when I was a freshman and if there was anything I could do to make it a better experience. After reminiscing and talking to other upperclassmen, I came up with this list of tips to help newbies, students who are halfway there, and even those with major senioritis (like me) to help make their time better while working through their higher education. 

1. Time is one of the most important resources you have.

Time is a finite resource, once it’s gone there is no replenishing it. While at the university, you need to make the most of the time you are given. Whether you need to factor the time needed to go to work, or to do homework, there are only so many hours in the day.

Freshman year is the time to learn how to balance the hours you have in a way that is helpful and productive. In high school, it was easier because there were more checks and balances to make sure you were accomplishing everything in a timely manner (e.g. parents, teachers, etc.). Now, you have to balance yourself. Using a planner or a to-do list will help you prioritize what needs to be done, and don’t forget to allow some time to play and some time to study, not all classes are going to be easy and you will have to do some time-investment if you want a good return on your grades. 

2. Don’t be afraid of looking dumb.

Everyone has questions in college, whether it be what they want to do, where they want to go, or even how to go about it. Don’t be afraid of asking for help. Parents, friends, and professors are all people who want you to be your best self, and they won’t think you’re stupid for trying to figure out your next move. All good professors want the best for you; they want to get to know you so they can help you even better. The more you participate with intelligent comments and observations, the better it will be. A bunch of internships, work opportunities, and higher education ask for an academic recommendation from one of your past professors. That can be hard to get when your professor knows you only by a name on the class list. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, I promise it is worth it. This especially applies in the classroom. Too many students go through the semester not fully understanding key concepts or definitions. Don’t be afraid to raise your hand and ask for clarification. This isn’t high school anymore, you won’t be laughed at; everyone here is trying to learn, so learn with them. 

3. Pick a major with a job in mind.

With so many majors to pick from, it can be pretty astounding all the different options are available to you. However, while going through the course list, be sure you have a picture of what you can do with that degree. College is the time to experiment and test the waters on all the careers that interest you, and to think of your long-term future. Questions like, “What career can I have with this degree?” or “How many positions are available in this field?” can help put into perspective the different options before you. It’s okay not to be 100% sure of what you want to do once you step onto campus, but do keep in mind that college should be a stepping stone to a more successful future.

4. Apply for more scholarships.

Apply for as many scholarships as you can! There are thousands of scholarships out there: some are academic based, others are set in different interests or majors, and some are simply available to anyone who wants to apply. It is free money towards an otherwise very expensive investment. Even if you only receive a few hundred dollars in scholarship money, that is still saving a few hundred dollars in tuition and freeing it up for other things (like ice cream). Grants are also great money boosts to look into while you are in the midst of your undergrad. The more you apply for, the better chances you have of catching a break. And who doesn’t like free money? 

5. It’s okay to be human. 

Your homework doesn’t have to be perfect. Your living space doesn’t have to be perfect. Your job doesn’t have to be perfect. You’re in a growing part of your life, it’s okay to make mistakes. Don’t let the stress of homework throw you into a mental meltdown. It’s okay to turn in your homework while thinking it’s “good enough” because no grade is worth breaking yourself. If you are having troubles, talk to your professors about how they can help you, ask your friends and family for support. You do not have to go through university by yourself; It’s okay to have limits. Just be sure to prioritize what needs to get done so you can spend your energy on the most important thing first. You will survive college, you got this. 

Freshman year can be hard and college itself can get pretty overwhelming, but don’t forget to have fun with it. This is the time to truly find who you want to be and the path to get there. Don’t overthink it, and enjoy the ride. 

I enjoy writing about varied topics, which is fueled from my love of talking to people.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, my goldfish Buttercup, reading, painting, anything competitive, Star Wars and gaming.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor